LOl not angry no more :)

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by magicpigeon, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sounds like you are stuck with your parents' decisions. To me this is unfair for something like chickens that you hand raised, especially if you have been paying for them. You can express this to him, point out they are your pets, if you think it might help, but in the end you have no choice. And he's already agreed.

I have no contact with most of my relatives, haven't had for most of my adult life. And for most of your life you will be able to made these choices also. It feels like a looooong wait now, but compared to 80 years or so, it's really not.

Sorry you are going through this.

3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Tell your father that you can't stand your cousins or the thought of their having your silkie. DON'T MIX WORDS WITH HIM OR WITH THEM, SPEAK UP.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I would not tell your father that you cannot stand your cousins. However, you SHOULD tell him that you DO NOT want to give them any of your silkies since it is obvious that they plan to eat them, and that the thought of that horrifies you; that these are your pets that you have handraised and loved. Let him know that if he really wants to cut down the size of the flock, that you are willing to sell or give some of them away to homes where they will be pets, not food.

Do not bring up any of the other stuff. It is beside the point, and will lessen the impact of your plea to keep your birds.

Clothes that you have outgrown or furniture that you no longer use is really your parent's call, although if there is something really special, it is okay to mention that you really want ___ as a keepsake. Having their kids live with y'all for high school and financing their grandmother's visits (is she your relative, too?) is really something that your parents will decide.

I expect the comment about your name was said teasingly. As for what they spend their money on, well, it is THEIR money, and since they are the ones who have earned it, are allowed to make any choices they want on how to spend it. Most parents spend money on thier kids. Your parents spend money buying your chicken food, for example.

5. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    We all need to remember that we are dealing with a different culture here also. I am taking HK as Hong Kong. I would speak to your father about it calmly. Prepare good reasons, not just I hate my cousin. In your mind, not literally, divorce your mind from you cousin. What they do, as long as it does not directly affect you, is not worth getting upset over. If you need to rant here and get it out of your system you know you will have support here.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yes, in Hong Kong and other oriental countries, silkie is viewed as a specialty health food. However, the OP lives in Australia (based upon her post), and silkies are not typically eaten there any more than they are in the US. It is not obvious what the OP's cultural background is.

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I would refuse to sell my chickens to them if it bothered me so much. I would focus on saving so I can move out and far away.

You can speak up,but unfortunately you are living at home and the rules of your parents are the rules you must follow.I might keep my thoughts to myself until I was moved out.No point making things worse for yourself until you can get away.

8. joebryant

Quote:I should hope that my daughter would NEVER take that kind of nonsense off of me or anybody else.

9. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    There are plenty more silkies in the world than yours.

10. joebryant

Quote:Right!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by