Lola

Hi. Sorry about Lola. Yes, she looks pale. Also, her urates look a bit discolored to me. I would consider an aloe detox for that.

Does she have a prominent keel bone? I have had great success lately giving malnourished hens baby bird formula. (Some of mine starve themselves during molt and one nearly starved herself to death!) Anyway, you could try that, or grinding her feed into powder and then turning it into a soupy consistency.) I agree hydration is important, as well. More so.

Is her abdomen (fluffy butt) bloated?

Hi. Sorry about Lola. Yes, she looks pale. Also, her urates look a bit discolored to me. I would consider an aloe detox for that.

Does she have a prominent keel bone? I have had great success lately giving malnourished hens baby bird formula. (Some of mine starve themselves during molt and one nearly starved herself to death!) Anyway, you could try that, or grinding her feed into powder and then turning it into a soupy consistency.) I agree hydration is important, as well. More so.

Is her abdomen (fluffy butt) bloated?
Hi, thanks so much for your reply! I am not sure if the keel is prominent but it does feel really bony. I felt the others and they feel the same to me. how do I check for bloated abdomen? I'm sorry, really don't know much about chickens... Great idea re the food, I will crush some up and see if she will have some soup.

I have felt the area around her "fluffy bum" and yes it does appear bigger than the other hens. What does this mean?? She tried to walk again and looked like she was walking very close to the ground then sat straight down again. Our poor girl, I hope we can make her better ;-\

it really seems like her legs are too weak to hold her for some reason.

I have just noticed that her breathing appears to be laboured also, could it be respiratory?

I have felt the area around her "fluffy bum" and yes it does appear bigger than the other hens. What does this mean?? She tried to walk again and looked like she was walking very close to the ground then sat straight down again. Our poor girl, I hope we can make her better ;-\
Likely the green poop is from not eating very much.

How long was she sitting for?

If her abdomen is fuller/bigger than the others, she might be suffering from reproductive problems - Egg Yolk Peritonitis, cancer, Internal Laying, Salpingitis, etc., sometimes these are accompanied with fluid (Ascites). The fluid can be from reproductive problems or an indication that organ function is failing. Sadly, a lot of times you don't know the condition until the hen passes and is opened up for examination (either done by you, a vet or state lab).

Try detox may be worth a shot as supportive care. If it's clear that there's fluid in the abdomen, some people drain that to give comfort/supportive care - these measures are not cure, but can prolong life sometimes and make their life more enjoyable.

Just an update, Lola seems to be getting worse today ;-(. She is finding it hard to stand on her own. Still eating though, which is encouraging.

So sorry that she is worse today. If she is having labored breathing, it may be from her enlarged lower belly, especially if there is ascites fluid in there. As @Wyorp Rock said, some people may withdraw some fluid with a large 18 gauge needle after disinfecting the abdomen. It is a temporary fix to relieve pressure. She also mentioned that we usually do not know what exactly is wrong until they have an autopsy/necropsy which some do at home. We post pictures of those here, for others to make comments.

I would try to make her comfortable by propping her on rolled towels. You may want to make her a sling or chair to sit in. Offer her foods that she likes, and wet chicken feed and scrambled eggs usually are favorites. Here are pictures of homemade slings and chairs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
And a video:

Back
Top Bottom