lone duck egg hatching NOW..advice needed please

o it looks like all she has is membrain and a little shell i think once she gains strength she will just slide out hopefully but if you wanted to you could just slide a bit of the membrain off and hopefully he will just pop out then is there much vaining on the membrain if there isint you could easily just pull the membrain off sligthly

^^^^What jammyjammy said. You can slide a little membrane off, but see if the duckling can make it out the rest of the way.

It looks like you chipped a lot of shell off. That may have made it harder - not easier - for the duckling. :/

thanks guys...there's not much veining...only a little...but i can see bits of yellow, so the yolk can't be fully absorbed yet

i've pulled a bit of the membrane off his face, and he cheeped at me
smile.png
his eyes are still closed though

Omg... you terribly opened the shell!!! He hasn't absorbed the blood in the vessels yet nor the yolk.... how can he get sluck and you took off moat of the shell.... I'm afraid you have to assist whe the blood is gone from the vessels and let your hand work as the shell he supposed to kick and absorb the yolk sack that way.. when he pushes on you hand long enough and you can see that the yolk entered his abdomen... gently leave him in the bator to rest and for the opening in the abdomen to close.... then he'll struggle by his own and completely out of the egg and starts to drie off and gain balance... keep us posted and I think that I'm not sleeping tonight as well... updates with pics are a must... don't do any movements without consulting us on the forum ... best of luck hope everything goes well. ... fingers crossed for you....

ok hopefully he will hatch atleast youd have 1 if he gets lonelly if your away you could give him a mirror to keep him oukupied if he is ok which hopefully he will be keep us updated

just been and checked on him again...... he's practically out of the shell, and he only has a teeny bit of yolk to absorb. will try and get some photos,that's if he keeps still long enough!

here is chicks enjoying their mirror, and teddy.

I like to wait for 24 hrs after first pip, go slow and if there is blood vessels stop and wait more, before helping. if it makes it , it will need a mirror if it is by its self and maybe a doll or a stuffed animal to cuddle. here's my baby ducks that hatched and a momma hen. hope it went well.

Last edited:
aww yours are gorgeous! well its 6am here in the uk and i've hardly slept!

he has some yolk still attached, about a 1" flat piece. one of his little legs is still stuck in it a bit....should i just leave well alone, or i'm sure i read somewhere to sit him upright in a cup to allow him to absorb the rest?

Back
Top Bottom