Lone female wild turkey questions- Boston

Honey617

Hatching
Feb 14, 2020
Hi everyone
I'm new here & have a few questions about a female wild turkey that showed up in my neighborhood in Boston back in early December. She's been by herself for over 2 months now. I started feeding her after googling and researching what her diet should be & now leave a huge container of nuts and seed on the porch so my neighbors can also participate in taking care of her. She shows up several times a day and has become the neighborhood pet of sorts during this cold winter. I called the Audubon Society to get some information on her, to make sure we aren't preventing her from moving on, ect.. the guy I talked to wasn't very knowledgeable. I hate that she's alone all the time. Is she going to find another flock? A tom come spring? Anything we can do for her? We adore her but want what's best for her. Any help or advice is appreciated. We have no problem taking care of her, we just want to make sure we are doing what is best for her. The city can be dangerous sometimes for these beautiful creatures and I would be devastated if anything happened to her. Thanks...

If it is in the city, there aren't likely to be any other turkeys around. That said, We have two big cemeteries in the middle of the city here and you can often see flocks of turkeys there when driving by so you never know where wildlife will show up.
Usually about once a year or so, a few will show up in the field next to me but I'm in suburbs.
She will be fine by herself especially as you are providing a proper diet. Do you know if she can fly? If she can, eventually she may get the urge to raise poults in the spring and fly off to find others.
Are you allowed to raise turkeys where you live?

If it is in the city, there aren't likely to be any other turkeys around. That said, We have two big cemeteries in the middle of the city here and you can often see flocks of turkeys there when driving by so you never know where wildlife will show up.
Usually about once a year or so, a few will show up in the field next to me but I'm in suburbs.
She will be fine by herself especially as you are providing a proper diet. Do you know if she can fly? If she can, eventually she may get the urge to raise poults in the spring and fly off to find others.
Are you allowed to raise turkeys where you live?
She can fly.
I watch her fly to her roost at night.
She was originally part of a flock of 5 (I believe) from last October/November from about 4 blocks away but then those 4 disappeared.. My neighbor told me that but I didn't see them.

Attachments

• IMG_20200204_222706_214.jpg
    IMG_20200204_222706_214.jpg
    532.9 KB · Views: 19
That picture in the tree at night is beautiful! Good job :)

I'm not a turkey expert by any means (wild or domestic) but I don't think that you are negatively impacting this turkey in any way, because I believe that when it warms up your turkey will either leave on its own accord to find a companion or have some other turkeys wander into your area and that she will join them. They are inherently social animals and she must have been separated from her group somehow and fortunately ended up in your area. I would definitely stop feeding her in the spring though when her natural foods are in abundance, as that might encourage her to linger rather than join/seek out her own kind.

Back
Top Bottom