Lone guinea hen

Every brand of poultry electrolytes with vitamins that I've used contain sugar... but yah, if poultry electrolytes with vitamins aren't available, then sugar water is better than nothing. Some keet issues are due to a simple nutrient deficiency of some type, which is why I always recommend the electrolytes with vitamins
idunno.gif

Well sorry to say that she didnt make it.
Was even increasing in ability and becoming more and more active, then I went to sleep for 3 hours and plop. She was in the corner and had passed. I'm guessing the exhaustion was too much to overcome or there was some underliying condition.

To make matters worse a rat snuck in through the bathroom vent and bit 3 chicks before we could come to the rescue.
2 are likely to lost their legs and 1 has also passed. 1 houdan dead, the other guniea bit, and 1 houdan recovering.
I'm super angry as all the other chicks were inside and secure. But even with 3 dogs and people living here a hungry rat will try anything.

At least this little tough one didnt have to be buried alone. Also the remaining 6 chicks just became all the more special.
Any advice on leg injuries for chicks & keets? They are both going strong eating and drinking, trying to hop around the cage, but I dont think the legs will ever recover. Plus there may be a creeping infection coinsidering it was a rat that bit them.

Last edited:
Plain Neosporin (triple antibiotic ointment), without the pain relief added is fine to coat the bites/wounds with. We also have a product here that's commonly used on horses called Blu-Kote, it's an antiseptic/anti-fungal and stains everything dark purple on contact... and works well on all poultry because it hides blood/wounds and reduces the chances of the birds pecking at the wounds and cannibalizing each other.

Sorry for your losses. The keet that died may have had a toxin back up due to the pasty butt, sometime they just can't recover from that.

Lost the second one today.
The injury was just too much I guess. I even made a little cloth sling to keep the foot up and out of the way. Still even though it could move much better and eat properly I think that it was just too much for such a young keet.
Thanks again for all the good advice and support.

The little houdan looks like she'll be just fine. Poor little thing was there comforting the keet through the whole process. Taking care not to step on it, never pecked the wound and even sat next to it durring the day when the keet started her decline.
Shes using the foot to scratch food and herself, but not to walk on. Hping for the best again~

Have to wait until another day to try the keets again.

Back
Top Bottom