Lone Serama Chick Advice needed, please. (-:

Chcknlvr3

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 5, 2012
Hi there, My almost 8 year old, favorite and first Serama hen, was killed by a hawk. All my fault, and I am very upset with myself. The reason I am posting is she had one oopsie(also my fault) chick who is 3 weeks old, or younger. My memory... Anyway, the others, even my doting rooster, did not want to take care of "her"(you know, we always hope), and so she is inside with me-in my cleavage, cuddling my neck, etc... My cats don't give her a second look, as I have trained them, but I keep her quite safe. She sleeps through the night in her brooder with no problem, and has been quiet in the morning, until I pick her up, and then the chirps, and trills start. I have never heard them trill. I know no good is going to come of this attachment of her to me, and I am not really wanting a house chicken. I do a little rescue with younger kitties, and they need attention too. Soooo, what I really want to know is your thoughts on the best route to take. I am going to ask my 2 chicken Sensai's, but am embarrassed. I also would like to know if anyone has found a good way to take them with you, or carry them on you while you are doing chores, etc... One thing, I will not be getting a chick at the feed store. Thank you so much in advance, and if you can be gentle with me, I would really appreciate it.

Hi there! No. I do not have any chicken people near me that I know of, and wonder if that could introduce any cooties. There is a couple that I bought eggs from once, and funnily enough they offered me a Silkie. They are about 40 minutes away. Oh, and thank you so much for replying.

Hello and welcome to activity on BYC! :frow Nice to meet you.
The trilling is a contentment sound. Your cleavage sounds as good a place as any to keep her while you're doing chores!
Could you set up a brooder in the coop using a brooder plate? Set it up in such a way that all the chickens can see her but not touch her. Then when she is maybe 5 weeks old boot all but the one adult chicken behaving the kindest towards her out of the coop. Then allow her out but leave an opening large enough for only her to fit through back into her brooder so she can escape if she needs to.
Gradually integrate her this way.

Last edited:
Welcome to active posting here at BYC. Try putting a mirror in her brooder so that she can keep herself company. The more you interact with her, the more she will become dependent upon you.
Ditto on the mirror idea. My silkie Daisey got attached to the chick in the mirror who we named Maisey. She still sometimes visits Maisey who is now in the reflection of the sliding doors. We integrated Daisey into the flock by keeping her in a small separate coop in the same room as the others and let her out when we supervised.

Hello and welcome to activity on BYC! :frow Nice to meet you.
The trilling is a contentment sound. Your cleavage sounds as good a place as any to keep her while you're doing chores!
Could you set up a brooder in the coop using a brooder plate? Set it up in such a way that all the chickens can see her but not touch her. Then when she is maybe 5 weeks old boot all but the one adult chicken behaving the kindest towards her out of the coop. Then allow her out but leave an opening large enough for only her to fit through back into her brooder so she can escape if she needs to.
Gradually integrate her this way.
Hi! :frow Welcome to active posting on BYC! @DobieLover and @sourland have given you some great advice and ideas for your lone chick! I might try a combination of both. Good luck with "her". :)
Sounds like a great idea! Thank you so much!

Ditto on the mirror idea. My silkie Daisey got attached to the chick in the mirror who we named Maisey. She still sometimes visits Maisey who is now in the reflection of the sliding doors. We integrated Daisey into the flock by keeping her in a small separate coop in the same room as the others and let her out when we supervised.
Another great idea!

Back
Top Bottom