Loneliness or temperature?

ChickenQuail007

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2015
I incubated quail eggs in the last few months. Only 1 / 20 - 30 eggs hatched. This is weird and even when I upgraded to a forced air automatic incubator hatch rates were very low. (Chicken eggs included, but only a few, 2 - 6 and none hatched). When the quail chick hatched, it would die after a few days. First chick at day 3 (definitely temperature) and second chick at day 6. The 2nd chick had food and water inside, and the temperature was only 97° F. What are possible reasons it died?

1st chick

2nd chick already imprinted

Last edited:
where are you getting the eggs from? It is possible that you have a weak genetic line. Try a different breeder for eggs. also be sure that temp is right and the humidity. It takes a bit of luck to get a good hatch. Good luck

A farm a few hours away. Temperature and humidity usually never changes and there are no drafts. I agree with the weak genetic line problem.

it could easily be a weak genetic line but I dont think so... what are your incubator settings and have you verified them with a known accurate thermometer/hydrometer? have you opened up the eggs that didnt hatch to see if they developed and when they died?

im thinking your humidity is waaaaay to high, which would result in most chicks drowning during the internal pip and any that hatch would be very weak to begin with.

i use the dry method, 45% then 55-60% at lock down (the last 3 days). what was set for 97'F? incubator or brooder? set them both to 100'F after the first week you can start to drop the temp in the brooder a bit and continue to do so every week until fully feathered.

soooo.... whats going on in you unhatched eggs? that will tell us the complete story.

Al

Brooder. I found out that humidity killed most of the fertile eggs in the first week because the incubator instructions said to put in water if there is none. The temperature is easy to adjust. Before that hatch, I had 2 more hatches with little humidity at the temperature ranges from 98 - 102° F. I don't live in cold climate areas, so it probably wouldn't help to put the quail chick inside the brooder for 3 weeks. Even if it is a weak genetic line, the good news is that today my hen laid her first egg and she lives with a rooster, so I think that wouldn't be a major problem anymore. It's just that humid1ity control that never stays still

Brooder. I found out that humidity killed most of the fertile eggs in the first week because the incubator instructions said to put in water if there is none. The temperature is easy to adjust. Before that hatch, I had 2 more hatches with little humidity at the temperature ranges from 98 - 102° F. I don't live in cold climate areas, so it probably wouldn't help to put the quail chick inside the brooder for 3 weeks. Even if it is a weak genetic line, the good news is that today my hen laid her first egg and she lives with a rooster, so I think that wouldn't be a major problem anymore. It's just that humid1ity control that never stays still

I dont know what information you're basing the above on, but it's flawed... Humidity wont kill embryos in the first week or even two. If you run the humidity way high, it will restrict the development of the air cell. Which will cause the chick to die just before it should hatch. Your bator should have water in it. You should have all the vent plugs out. This is a step many new to the process forget. I agree that 45% is a good target humidity level for incubation. As for your brooder statement. Unless you live in the tropics, where the lowest temp of the day is about 85-90 degs.Your chicks should be in a brooder. This is not something that is a just a good idea, this is a must for your chicks to live.... They should stay in a brooder till they are 5 weeks old or feathered out under the wings.... It seems you may need to do a bit of research.... this is a good read. It's geared toward chickens but most of the information on incubation is valid.... Good luck. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-incubate-hatch-eggs-just-21-days-from-egg-to-chicken

Back
Top Bottom