LONELY BABY

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by klpdaffy, Oct 22, 2013.

1. klpdaffy

klpdaffy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2013
    Hi I tried to hatch out some rouens and only one hatched most of the others were not even fertile and 2 quit early on. So now I have this one poor baby whom I had to help out of his shell with the help of the article from here helping the hatch! very helpful. So I got him out of the shell Thursday night He is the cutest thing. I am wondering what I can do for him since I know that ducks are social and he needs a friend. I have two male and female out in the pen about 8 months old. she just started a nest and has two eggs. not sure if she would be interested in adopting this little guy if she is going to be sitting. I also have 10 chicks hatched about a week before this guy. 1 broody who is sitting on 13 eggs which I am pretty sure should have hatched over the weekend but maybe my timing is off. and 1 silkie who is raising her 2 babies outside as well. so I have some possible adoptions not sure if any would work. I have heard that if the broodys eggs don't hatch you can switch them at night with baby chicks and she might except them. but would she except a duck? I have him in with a stuffed bear that he sleeps on and a mirror that he talks to.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Oh my gosh I am in love, very hard to say if any of the candidates you mentioned would accept this lil one and his very life could be in jeopardy if you try, Ducks aren't like chickens in that they will accept new ducklings that don't belong to them but there is always the slim chance, but you would have to be right there to keep the lil one from being killed or injured. and since it has not imprinted on another duck big possibility it wouldn't imprint now, most likely imprinted on you. So best idea I think is to try and finds another duckling for this lil one or wait till it's adult size and begin very slowly introducing to your older ducks. There is a rehoming thread here on BYC and also a buy sell trade thread or maybe go to your state thread and ask if anyone has ducklings. It is the cutest lil thing.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by