Lonely Chick

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by urbanhatch, Oct 16, 2010.

1. urbanhatch

urbanhatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    New York
    Well folks so far out of one dozen Sebright eggs, I only had one hatch. You know that chicks hate to be alone. As luck would have it, she has accepted a stuffed AFLAC duck as her mother. Thank God, as you know how they complain if they feel alone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    A stuffed mama is better than no mama. Cute pic!

3. urbanhatch

Aug 6, 2008
    New York
    Thanks. So far so good. No complaints.

4. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Keep us updated...but maybe you could get another chick from someone nearby? Then they can be friends...

5. urbanhatch

Aug 6, 2008
    New York
    The lonely chick update. So far this chick now likes her stuffed AFLAC duck mother and me. I have other birds that she can hear sing, so I think that is why she is so comfortable.
    I took a few pictures today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. chickiemommy

chickiemommy Out Of The Brooder

OMG! [​IMG] So in love with your new chickie. I'll have to add that breed to my "chickie investigation list!" Keep us updated. [​IMG]

7. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    [​IMG]

beautiful, bright eyed baby.
    thank you for the lovely pics.

beth

8. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    I raised a one day old chick with me for a mommie and a feather duster to sleep under, and it worked out great. The only drawback was the fact you had to be with her 23/7 (I got a 1 hour lunch break [​IMG]) Oh yes she cried if I had to leave her alone....but I fortunetly was able to take her with me pretty much everywhere. It was SO worth the effort, she was totally devoted to me, followed me like a dog, liked car rides, riding on my shoulder, wait a minute here, this sounds more like a dog?!? Actually, she turned out just fine, when she was 2 months old I acquired a 1 month old chick that had gotten beat up by his "cell mates" so she had a pal then. This was "PET" chicken in the truest sense of the word.

YOUR BABY IS TOO ADORABLE! There outta be laws for being so gosh darn cute [​IMG] Best of luck to you with your sweetie!

9. urbanhatch

Aug 6, 2008
    New York
    Thanks for a great story. The one great thing is this chick does not call out at all. She can hear my other birds (finches) and I guess that is cool with her. I have seven Sebrights expected to hatch by Saturday, so she may have some cell mates after all.

10. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Adorable! What a sweet little friend!
    Better a stuffed mum than no mum at all, eh?
    Maybe you can work some chicken math problems and find her some friends!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by