Lonely chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jcross87, Mar 23, 2013.

1. jcross87

jcross87 New Egg

Mar 18, 2013
    So last Sunday I bought 6 chicks from TSC and yesterday I came home and my gfs dog killed all but one well I only found 3 of them one was dead one was hanging on and one was alive the others I can't find so I assume he ate them which is hard to believe a wiener dog doing but oh well any suggestions????

2. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    Not hard to believe a wiener dog would. They are hunters believe it or not. Little dogs like that have a strong prey drive. What you should do, is make a better brooder, one that that the dog cant get into. Keep them on some kind of table or something, and get more so that one that is a live will not be lonely. BUT make sure that the dog CANT get them at all. Best thing i can tell ya.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Suggestions for what? What to do with the last chick? If you want to keep it you need to get some more chicks to raise with it. And someplace safe where the dog cannot get to them.

4. Kay1993

Kay1993 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Hawaii
    Well this is common sense but make a safer brooder. After that get more chicks asap. For now you can place a mirror and stuffed animal in the brooder to keep the chick company. Good luck to your chick(s).

5. educate2inspire

educate2inspire Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    The Dalles, OR
    How sad! [​IMG] Definitely agree with the others to make sure the dog won't get to them this next time, and the sooner you can get your little chickie some new buds the better for them all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by