Lonely Duck?

LibrariHen

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
I've had 2 orpington ducks (both hens) for about 2 1/2 years, but last week something got into the backyard while I was at work and got one of them. They were inseparable, calling out whenever one was out of sight of the other, so now I'm worried about the remaining one. In addition, the chicken on the bottom of the chicken heirarchy has apparently decided to go on the attack (they've always been housed together, and while that chicken would always bully the ducks, it was never more than just pushing in front of them to get to the food first, etc. ). This morning when I opened the hen house the poor lonely duck was bleeding from multiple pecks on her head. She is now sequestered, but I wondered if anyone has any suggestions? I had been planning to get a couple more ducks anyway, do you think this would help?

Sad for your loss. When Shelly died of egg yolk peritonitis, we adopted the three buffs Hazel, Carmella and Bean. While it has taken some time for everything to smooth out due to my runners' weirdness, I am glad we got Romy - a buff - some buff friends, because after Shelly died, the runners seemed less patient with Romy, who was clearly quite lonely.

Keep your buff away from the chickens, and look for a couple or more friends, perhaps the same breed.

Regarding the attack - predators return. Have you secured the area?

Amiga is right she needs a friend. For your sake and hers I would get one asap. Buffs are kind of rare you might need to just pick up whatever breed you can find for now male or female. Where are you located someone on this board might live close enough you could get one from them. Check the free rehoming section maybe put in an add there also check Craigslist. Best of luck.

she does need a friend. we had four ducks and rehomed two of them. the last two were so sad! thay stopped laying and were constantly quacking and wouldn't eat! we found them a home with some drakes and now they are happy:) so i suggest finding them a friend

Yep. One duck alone is a sad thing. They need duck buddies. And if your duck has wounds, you can help her by providing her some tepid water with Epsom salts to bathe in. ...But don't allow her to drink the ES water (laxative).

thanks for the responses and suggestions. I will be looking around for some ducks in need of a home asap!

Back
Top Bottom