Lonely hen?

jumbojello

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 27, 2014
About a week and a half ago, my Bluebell hen sadly passed away. She was the last of two (after my older hens died, I didn't buy any more as the Bluebell and my current hen were good companions). My hen, who is a black Leghorn bantam, is getting lonely. It doesn't seem to be having a hugely negative effect on her (i.e no feather pulling etc.) but she is constantly coming down to the back door and poking her head in (full of personality). She also screeched the place down the day after my Bluebell died. I can't seem to find anyone to buy from again. I would like to buy from the same man I bought this hen from, but I can't seem to be able to contact him anymore. I'm just wondering if this will have a serious effect on her? She is well looked after and spoiled (animals are pets in our house) , but I know birds especially get stressed when lonely, but she is usually coming down to annoy my dogs and sitting by the door where she can see us. I am also considering getting three bantams alongside her if I do find a good place to buy as I find that they have less problems (for me, anyway).
Also, what is the 'age limit' for hens?
Thank you ;)

Keep at least 2 chickens, preferable 3 at least. The "age limit" of a chicken depends on what purpose you would like it to serve.

Keep at least 2 chickens, preferable 3 at least. The "age limit" of a chicken depends on what purpose you would like it to serve.
We have our chickens for eggs and they have now clearly become pets.

I have found a breeder to buy from near me. He told me he can give me three Speckled hens, but didn't elaborate on whether they were young (which I'd prefer) or bantam. I've had a mixture of breeds in the past, but never had any Speckled. Could anyone give me information? Are they easy layers, can they contract illness or laying problems easily etc. I think my Leghorn has now decided she rules the roost, so not sure how she's going to manage this! She needs a few companions, anyway. I will hopefully be picking them up tomorrow.

Well, nevermind. Apparently, his mother sold the Speckled's without telling him. Running out of places to buy in my area!

Back
Top Bottom