Lonely Peahen nesting

Miss P

Hatching
May 17, 2017
My husband and I have been feeding a Peahen for years that roams free. She is the only one around. She disappears once a year and we did not know why but we just found out she is sitting on unfertilized eggs. She's sitting behind our neighbors AC unit and it's now reaching 95° outside in Florida. What can I do for her? I understand this takes a lot out of her. There are neighborhoods a few miles away that have lots of peacocks but ours is not one of them and I do not think some of our neighbors would appreciate us getting her a friend. When she first came to our neighborhood she sat on a nest until the eggs were rotten. I know she is several years old and I would just like to keep her as healthy as I can. She will eat out of my hand and we feed her up close to the house but we cannot touch her. She has not come to eat or drink for several days.
Please help me help my lonely Miss P.

You could try catching her and putting her up for adoption. Many people would gladly take her and since they are considered a pest in some areas you wouldn't have any legal issues to worry about.

Thank you very much. I'm just not sure if she was run off or if she got lost. She's been here for many years though. I did think about that but when she's not nesting she is at our front door first thing in the morning and in the evening waiting for food and for us to come sit with her before sunset. When she sees our car pull in she comes running across the street. She roost in our Oak tree at night as well. I know from what I've read that people say that peafowl are not very smart but I know that birds will identify mainly with one person. I don't want to stress her.

Woo hoo! She came hollering at the window this morning for food. Did not eat much but at least I know she's out plucking around getting some nutrition.

If the eggs are infertile then remove them from the nest and fill in the whole she has made. This may break her broodness (egg sitting) and bring her back to normal. Also most mother birds need little to eat or drink when they have gone broody so don't worry about her to much, not eating and drinking the usual amount is normal.

If the eggs are infertile then remove them from the nest and fill in the whole she has made. This may break her broodness (egg sitting) and bring her back to normal. Also most mother birds need little to eat or drink when they have gone broody so don't worry about her to much, not eating and drinking the usual amount is normal.
Thank you very much for the information. Would you wait until you find her off the nest or try to run her off? She doesn't let us touch her.

Try to get 4 fertile eggs from your neighbor ... and make an exchange!
Thank you very much.
I would love to be able to do that but we are in a neighborhood and we don't have other peacocks. Some neighbors don't like having her in their yard so I would be afraid to add another Peacock. I would worry that someone would take them off or be mean to them.

Doesn't matter how or when you take the eggs. I would probably wait until when she if off just so she doesn't relate me to taking her "babies" but it's totally your preference. Taking the eggs should break her broodness but it's not guaranteed every bird is different and some are more determined then others.

Doesn't matter how or when you take the eggs. I would probably wait until when she if off just so she doesn't relate me to taking her "babies" but it's totally your preference. Taking the eggs should break her broodness but it's not guaranteed every bird is different and some are more determined then others.
Thank you very much. That's exactly what I was thinking. As I'm sure you can tell, I do not raise them. She found us.

Back
Top Bottom