Lonely Welsh Harlequin Drake

handyman42

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 17, 2013
Sardis, AR
Well I have recently acquired a Welsh Harlequin drake within the past month and he's kinda lonely. I have him in a separate pen away from my chickens and Buff Duck trio to avoid confrontation. I'm kinda stuck on what I should do with him. He's to beautiful to put on the table, and I would hate to throw a mix of ducks in there and his offspring be a crazy mix, but I haven't been able to find WH hens anywhere and I am kinda thinking he's doomed to bachelorhood for the rest of his life. I would love to add this breed to my small hobby farm due to it's multi-purpose qualities and beauty.

Anybody got any suggestions on what to do with him?
hu.gif

Why can't you find him at least two girls of comparable size and just pick up the eggs so they don't hatch out. You can throw them away, eat them, or give them away. If you have other pets, you can feed those eggs to your dogs for example. Sad if he is made to be alone all his life. Get two other breed you enjoy the look of and just have them for the aesthetic value, pure enjoyment.

Check any farm animal shelters/sanctuaries near you for some ducks to adopt.

Well right now he's hanging with the other drake he's grown up with but I'd like to get him some Welsh girls so I can start a flock. Though I could just throw in a couple random ducks to keep him company for a while. I eat the eggs for it's not like my farm would be "tainted" by mixed breeds (if you believe that mix breeds taint your farm). I may let my young ducks grow out some more (they're about 8 weeks old now) and then throw them in with him.

Ahoy,
"doomed to bachelorhood".....you say that like it's a bad thing?

Hope my wife doesn't read this!
Hey for us people it has potential to have great outcome... But to an animal who's only purpose in life (or so they think) is to breed it's kind of a terrible living situation. Especially when he's gotta share it with another dude duck. lol

Yea, I have looked a Metzer, and I really think sometime in the future I'll order from them but for right now I'd really like to get grown ducks for him. Oh well, I may end up waiting it out and ordering a flock of ducklings later on.

Well given the circumstances that may be the best option for the poor guy. Where are you located? I'm in central Arkansas just south of Little Rock.

I'll probably end up getting a small flock of them next year or later this year if they're still available when I can afford them.

Back
Top Bottom