Loner Girl

Yigolette

Chirping
Dec 15, 2020
Micronesia
I have four New Hampshire Reds. I live on a tropical island so it’s warm and the girls get lots of sun and plenty of space to range all day. One of the four has always kept a distance and while she doesn’t completely isolate herself, she seems very picky with when she feels like fully socializing with the others (preferring to follow me). This past few days, I’ve noticed she has taken greater steps to keep away from the other girls (And me) and stays in the coop longer, sitting low to the ground a lot. She comes out and walks around sunset and then goes to her own perch (she doesn’t use the same perch as the other three). She eats well, has plenty of water, has no signs of injury or being picked on. She lays her egg and gets back to her coop. Her poop looks healthy. I’m concerned that she keeps sitting low to the ground for such long periods. She’s not out and about as usual. Any ideas? PS: I’m new to raising chickens

That crouching down behavior worries me... I’ve seen it twice before in chicks that ultimately didn’t make it. I have no feedback but will follow along to see what other, more experienced chicken keepers have to say.

Last edited:
That crouching down behavior worries me... I’ve seem it twice before in chicks that ultimately didn’t make it. I have no feedback but will follow along to see what other, more experienced chicken keepers have to say.

It’s worrying me too. I’ve been trying not to be too clingy to her and give her space, but it’s hard not to just sit and watch her. When she decides to get up and walk as evening comes, I get excited and hope she’s feeling better. But then she ultimately goes back to her corner again and does it for most of the next day :(. I’ve been really praying she’s okay and found this web site and joined to ask about it. I have always felt attached to this one as well because she’s been a bit of a loner since she was a chick. They just started laying two months ago and she was always very active and mobile up until two days ago.

It’s worrying me too. I’ve been trying not to be too clingy to her and give her space, but it’s hard not to just sit and watch her. When she decides to get up and walk as evening comes, I get excited and hope she’s feeling better. But then she ultimately goes back to her corner again and does it for most of the next day :(. I’ve been really praying she’s okay and found this web site and joined to ask about it. I have always felt attached to this one as well because she’s been a bit of a loner since she was a chick. They just started laying two months ago and she was always very active and mobile up until two days ago.
I do think you should interact with her, though. Pick her up, listen to her breathing... does it sound funny? Check for a respiratory issue. I took my chick that was self-isolating to the vet. Can you do that?

I have four New Hampshire Reds. I live on a tropical island so it’s warm and the girls get lots of sun and plenty of space to range all day. One of the four has always kept a distance and while she doesn’t completely isolate herself, she seems very picky with when she feels like fully socializing with the others (preferring to follow me). This past few days, I’ve noticed she has taken greater steps to keep away from the other girls (And me) and stays in the coop longer, sitting low to the ground a lot. She comes out and walks around sunset and then goes to her own perch (she doesn’t use the same perch as the other three). She eats well, has plenty of water, has no signs of injury or being picked on. She lays her egg and gets back to her coop. Her poop looks healthy. I’m concerned that she keeps sitting low to the ground for such long periods. She’s not out and about as usual. Any ideas? PS: I’m new to raising chickens
members.jpg

I do think you should interact with her, though. Pick her up, listen to her breathing... does it sound funny? Check for a respiratory issue. I took my chick that was self-isolating to the vet. Can you do that?

I noticed that in the first day, there was some open mouth breathing and panting around noon. I put a little vitamin and electrolytes in her water but she didn’t like it, so I just brought back plain water which she seemed to prefer and drink quite a bit of. by the second day, I noticed her moving around more and closing her mouth ... but STILL isolating and sitting low to the ground most of the day or hopping up on the lonely perch by herself. When I pick her up and look closely, she seems perfect. I definitely feel like she’s sad and something is wrong.

I noticed that in the first day, there was some open mouth breathing and panting around noon. I put a little vitamin and electrolytes in her water but she didn’t like it, so I just brought back plain water which she seemed to prefer and drink quite a bit of. by the second day, I noticed her moving around more and closing her mouth ... but STILL isolating and sitting low to the ground most of the day or hopping up on the lonely perch by herself. When I pick her up and look closely, she seems perfect. I definitely feel like she’s sad and something is wrong.
No good. That’s a respiratory issue. She’s not sad, she’s sick. I would keep the other birds away so the issue doesn’t spread.

Back
Top Bottom