1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"Long eggs".

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jimz1, Sep 29, 2011.

1. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    A couple of our chickens are laying long eggs.What I mean is they are egg shaped but only stretched. It's mostly our EE but sometimes it's others. What causes this and will they grow out of it?

2. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    My Dad always called those "torpedo" eggs. I get one every once in awhile too. Not sure why.

3. Martha80

Martha80 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Randolph Co. Indiana
    I got those torpedo eggs (or 'pullet bullets' as someone else said! )from one or two hens when they first began laying. They almost always were a double yolker.

4. lynn1961

lynn1961 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    south central Oklahoma
    Quote:X2, same for our new layers, occ. for the older ones also.

5. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I got one of those yesterday. I'll get one every so often.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have one hen "Ivy" that lays them all the time:

[​IMG]

And another hen that lays them from time to time. Doesn't matter, as they are all the same tasty eggs inside. My egg customers get a kick out of them.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I rarely got those when my girls were younger, but I get them fairly often now that my birds are older (two). Mine have huge yolks, but aren't double yolkers. I call them torpedo eggs as well [​IMG] Not sure what causes them...in my head I picture an egg s l o w l y leaving the
    infunidbulum???...so slowly that as the shell forms around the membrane it's all stretched out...lol. My imaginination works in cartoon form.

8. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I have two barred rocks that lay those and have never layed any other shape. they are always large to x large but always the same shape.They were always that long from the start just got fatter with age. But they eat just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by