Long Islanders.... I know you are out there

Hey all - I just searched for a LI thread and happened to search on a good day for it :)

We moved to middle NY state a little over a year ago, but I have a potential job offer in middle Long Island, so we're thinking about moving. I'm searching for a place to live where we can move with our chickens. ::sigh:: I really don't want to have to rehome them. From what I've been reading, the laws vary in Long Island and they seem to be much more strict than here....

Huntington allows 8 hens, no roos with restrictions on where you can keep the coop. I think Smithtown is really good though with not many restrictions. Here is a link to a thread I belong to which is has quite a few Long Islanders and also some people from NJ, Staten Island and Westchester. The Long Island people on the thread may know more about the different laws regarding keeping hens on Long Island.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/534036/southern-ny-dutchess-county-and-below/9000#post_10008078

Town of Smithtown has no restrictions on chickens as far as I know, although you may not sell eggs for profit and permanent accessory structures beyond a certain footage require a permit. The town doesn't allow livestock (i.e. cattle) although that's somewhat ironic since Whisper the Bull is the town mascot ;-)

Hi Long Islanders! Cornell University is organizing a "North Fork Hen House Tour" tentatively for this May. Let me know if any of you are interested and I will put you on my email list. This will be the first time for this sort of thing, but we are very excited! Thanks! You can email me directly at [email protected]

Hi Long Islanders! Cornell University is organizing a "North Fork Hen House Tour" tentatively for this May. Let me know if any of you are interested and I will put you on my email list. This will be the first time for this sort of thing, but we are very excited! Thanks! You can email me directly at [email protected]
That sounds awesome but sounds like are looking for further out east? Well, from where I am anyway.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom