Long nail problem ??

Cockledoo

Chirping
Jun 11, 2020
One of my hens is limping, could her nails be too long ? She also has bumps on her feet but do not look like mites.

Attachments

• IMG_20221219_175237.jpg
    IMG_20221219_175237.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20221219_175245.jpg
    IMG_20221219_175245.jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 4
One of my hens is limping, could her nails be too long ? She also has bumps on her feet but do not look like mites.
Do you have photos of the bottom of her feet?

How is she housed?

I'd working on gradually trimming the nails to get them back in shape.

Apply some NuStock to the legs and feet making sure to work it up underneath and into the scales of the toes and legs.

While SLM mainly live on the bird under the scales of the legs and oils/ointments will help smother them, it would be a good idea to clean out your coop and treat it with a Permethrin based poultry spray to help eradicate any that may be migrating around. Do check all your birds over for lice or mites on their body too.

Do you have photos of the bottom of her feet?

How is she housed?

I'd working on gradually trimming the nails to get them back in shape.

Apply some NuStock to the legs and feet making sure to work it up underneath and into the scales of the toes and legs.

While SLM mainly live on the bird under the scales of the legs and oils/ointments will help smother them, it would be a good idea to clean out your coop and treat it with a Permethrin based poultry spray to help eradicate any that may be migrating around. Do check all your birds over for lice or mites on their body too.
Thank you I'm on it !

Back
Top Bottom