Long story, multiple birds & issues- bubbles in eye, diarrhea, pale eggs.

Mar 17, 2019
So, I had 5 healthy birds for nearly a year. Then my new dog killed 2. We moved the coop into the fenced garden area, in like early January. So forarging changed drastically then, from grass yard to a garden with cedar mulch around raised beds. I'm hoping to figure out a way to plant mung beans for them to munch on. About 4 weeks ago, the eggs became quite pale and the one brown shells very light colored. In the meantime, I got some 3-5 month old pullets from a nearby farm. I got a Black French Copper Marans, an Olive egger, and a Crested Cream Leg-bar. The CCL had been badly hen-pecked (and I stupidly took her ). She was a bit of a mess and so I bathed her. While I did I realized she had bubbles in one eye. (This was like Feb. 10). I took her back, the farmer watched her for a few days, no and then even MORE stupidly, I took her back. I took her to the vet on March 5. He gave me Terramycin ointment for her eye and had me worm everyone with Fenbendazole. I did this. While I was treating her, she started having a runny nose, but the bubbles seemed to clear. Now treatmentst doned and she's back to bubbles. She's been sharing space with my other 2 pullets, and now another one had some small bubbles in it's eye. I can take her back to the vet, or see if the farmer will take her back, but at this point I'm also very worried that I've infected my whole flock- but whatever it is it's progressing really slow. I'm sure I have multiple issues going- please help me out!!!

received_606781053097752.jpeg

Your breeder may not know any better.:(

I am sorry but they probably sold you sick birds.
Yeah, I've asked about it & he indicated that he's vaccinated. So either the vaccine didn't give full coverage, or he didn't actually vaccinate. I've asked him for a list of what he does with the chicks he sells. He's got a beautiful farm with many species of what would appear to be healthy birds. He has Guinea fowl, chickens, peacocks, geese, etc.

So if it's GM, how do I move forward? I'm sure I haven't maintained sufficient biosecurity between the two Sets of birds. Do I keep them separate? Take the pullets back to the vet? Need to treat, or just wait for symptoms to clear?

Yeah, I've asked about it & he indicated that he's vaccinated. So either the vaccine didn't give full coverage, or he didn't actually vaccinate. I've asked him for a list of what he does with the chicks he sells. He's got a beautiful farm with many species of what would appear to be healthy birds. He has Guinea fowl, chickens, peacocks, geese, etc.

So if it's GM, how do I move forward? I'm sure I haven't maintained sufficient biosecurity between the two Sets of birds. Do I keep them separate? Take the pullets back to the vet? Need to treat, or just wait for symptoms to clear?
I am not familiar with the MG vaccine, I need to research how that one works.

I wonder if that is what he means when he said they are vaccinated...vaccinated for MG or possibly Marek's disease. Can you ask him to be more specific with which vaccines he gives?

IF it is MG then all of your birds have been exposed already so it's not really necessary at this point to separate them.

You have to decide if you want to play nurse all the time or not.
Not a fun decision to have to make, I am sorry.

Hi there!
My flock has MG. It was really bad the first time around for 2/6 of the chickens. They pulled through. I gave them coilloidal silver and Tylan. I can't say I would use those again because I never saw a relief in symptoms. I isolated the worst one and had to pretty much force feed her and give her water. The other chickens barely showed symptoms, I just knew they weren't feeling 100%.
They are all happy now. I found that letting them free range vs isolation was best for my flock, especially if symptoms come back. Much like humans, doing what they love to do helped. Even when they didn't feel good, walking outside and sitting under bushes seemed to do them good. I know everyone says to cull the flock, but ours is so small I just didn't see the need. I won't sell them because I would hate for another person to go through the stress we went through.
Overall, egg production and quality was not impacted at all. I get eggs daily. The hens didn't lay for about a month after they had their first round of symptoms, but that is it. Our rooster doesn't seem to mate as much and he pretty much always has a little bit of eye crusties but he crows and runs around our property with no problems, happy as can be. So, culling is a personal decision. Just wanted you to know that MG doesn't have to be the end.

Also, when I know periods of stress will be coming up (extreme temps, new flock members) I give everyone some nutridrench in their water.

Back
Top Bottom