Long Term Prognosis for Egg Yolk Peritonitis

Mammachix

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 14, 2013
HI everyone,

I have a year old red sex link hen. She is a real sweetheart and a pet, although not all our chickens are, this one is. Just want to say that up front, as I can't really cull her as I might with another non-productive chicken. My daughters would be devastated.

So, we've figured out by reading on-line that she has egg yolk peritonitis. She's been laying thin-shelled eggs for a month, then started laying shell-less eggs, as evidenced by egg yolk under the roost and slimy messes in the nesting box. We didn't quite know who the culprit was until we found her lethargic in the nesting box one day.

We brought her inside for a few days and after reading a lot of threads, started her on antibiotics: .5 cc of Tylan 50 subcutaneously in her breast muscle. She also didn't poop for a day, gave her a warm bath to no avail. But, the next day she started pooping again and perked up...drank a ton. She has been on antibiotics for five days and is responding great. We bring her in each night to give her meds and some extra protein and time in her own box. Yesterday she laid a rubbery and empty egg shell. I've also seen the egg-yolky-poops that people have been kind enough to post on-line.

One last item: none of the other hens are affected and all are laying just fine. The flock is on Dumor layer pellets, has oyster shell on the side, and free-ranges during the day. They have a dust bath in the coop and loved using it all winter. I've checked for mites and there are none. I wormed the flock around Jan. 1st...twice, two weeks apart.

So, after all that information, here is the question: what do you think the long term prognosis is for a hen like this? I don't mind if she doesn't lay productively, but will she continue to be sick periodically? Right now she is inside at night and then after her special I'm-so-spoiled breakfast, she goes outside for the day with the flock to free range. She appears healthy and happy at this point. Just, still has shell-less eggs. I can also say that her abdomen never got swollen or spongy. She doesn't appear uncomfortable or underweight either.

Thanks for your thoughts and experiences!
Marisa

I would start giving her Calcium Gluconate, vitamin E and D3. Maybe she'll be fine. I'd also look into getting some Baytril in case the Tylan doesn't work. Start weighing her every few days. If she's loosing weight, start Baytril.

-Kathy

This sounds like a genetic condition. If you didn't notice any ruptures in the abdomen or obvious signs of a bacteria infection I wouldn't jump to the conclusion it's Peritionitis. I aslo want to ask was the bird laying good eggs before this or was she just starting? Chickens who are learning to lay often do it. It happens a lot with young pullets.

Last edited:
Hi, she was one of my top layers. They didn't lay much in the darkest part of our extremely cold winter, but then picked back up in February. She was laying very large eggs as well for about a month, then the thin-shelled eggs started, then no-shells. I have her on NutriDence vitamins that has calcium in it and the other vitamins you mentioned. She is doing great right now, but still excreting egg-white-looking blobs periodically. I'll try to get a photo of it posted.

My concern is what will happen when I stop the antibiotics tomorrow?

Thanks everyone!

Hi, she was one of my top layers. They didn't lay much in the darkest part of our extremely cold winter, but then picked back up in February. She was laying very large eggs as well for about a month, then the thin-shelled eggs started, then no-shells. I have her on NutriDence vitamins that has calcium in it and the other vitamins you mentioned. She is doing great right now, but still excreting egg-white-looking blobs periodically. I'll try to get a photo of it posted.

My concern is what will happen when I stop the antibiotics tomorrow?

Thanks everyone!
If she has bit of egg yolk floating in her belly the infection will probably return, but if the infection was in her repro tract you might be okay. FYI, there's not enough calcium and e in Nutri Drench for a hen with egg shell problems.

Get some of this from Tractor Supply and give it orally.

-Kathy

Oh thank you! That is very helpful. I looked in their poultry section and didn't see anything, so this is great. Any help with dosing information? Add to water? Give in an eye dropper! How many days? Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

You'll find the Calcium Gluconate in the cattle section of Tractor Supply. It's and injectable that can be used orally in poultry, so you'll need a needle and syringe. I give about 1ml (230mg) per 2.2 pounds, but sometimes I give more.

You would give it orally using the syringe *without* the needle, lol.

-Kathy

[quot 24hre name="casportpony" url="/t/875542/long-term-prognosis-for-egg-yolk-peritonitis#post_13308916"]You'll find the Calcium Gluconate in the cattle section of Tractor Supply. It's and injectable that can be used orally in poultry, so you'll need a needle and syringe. I give about 1ml (230mg) per 2.2 pounds, but sometimes I give more.

You would give it orally using the syringe *without* the needle, lol.

-Kathy[/quote]

What is daily dosing? Total 24hr

Back
Top Bottom