Long time chicken keeper

Hello, and welcome! Good luck with your future hatching! Do you have plan's in place for the boy chick's that will hatch?
Yes,I should have mentioned that. When we do hatch some chicken eggs, our plan is to keep one hen to join our flock. Originally, if a rooster was hatched he would have gone to our friend we got the eggs from. Now my dad wants some for his small farm, both hens and roosters. He's the one who got me started on chickens when I was very young. He doesn't have a flock right now and wants to start up again, so when I picked up the parts for an incubator and mentioned aiming to hatch some eggs, he requested that my son hatch some for him as well.
As it happens, the plans changed. Because our friend's hens haven't started to lay much yet this year, he asked if We could split the cost to order a clutch of button quail eggs. We decided to hatch button quail instead for our first try in our incubator. We are able to keep both sexes in the city limits with these birds, and it sure would be hard to part with chicks we've hatched ourselves. We will be giving some to our friend of course, as long as everything goes well. We have been obsessively fine tuning our incubator, so I am optimistic that we will be successful.
we do still plan to hatch chickens for my dad this year, but the quail eggs became available to us and we are excited by the opportunity to raise another wonderful type of bird.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! I’m so excited to see you joined! This wonderful community of poultry keepers and experts will be very happy to answer whatever questions you may have ☺️
2597B463-677F-4157-AC36-DFECF544032A.png

Back
Top Bottom