Long time Lurker- Now New Member, from Alaska

black75betty

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 23, 2013
Palmer, AK
Hello!

I just joined after indulging in this site for about 2 years now. I am heading into my 3rd year keeping chickens. I started with 1 Dark and 1 Light Brahma, 2 RIRs, 2 Golden Comets and 2 cochin/production blacks off of Craigslist. A rooster who was supposedly a Rhode Island White (although he had a SC), was added a few months in from a teacher friend who had hatched him in her classroom. Today- as is prone to happen- I have 26 chickens of a wide assortment. Most are hatchery usuals- some not. I have a splendid, huge Blue Orphington rooster who I adore- who is from breeder stock.

I also have 2 Sweatgrass turkey toms from Porter's Turkeys stock, and 2 Narraganset hens.

Right now, I am looking to improve the quality of my flock- and direct my obsession with my chickens, and raising my own food- by acquiring Standard/Heritage bred chickens, specifically the true dual-purpose breeds. I feel like I have dialed in my chicken care/knowledge, have a market for my eggs, a taste for well-raised meat and also now have a great well-insulated/ventilated coop- and so I want to take my chicken raising in a direction that is more in line with my general interests in self-sustainability and an appreciation for the genetics of our farm products- as they existed before "corporate ag" took over.

I am a lifelong organic gardener, a food nerd, and make all natural soap.

This site is great- and has been invaluable in getting me to the stage where I am today.

Thanks!

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png

Hi black75betty,

I also just joined the forum. I'm from Seward and have yet to purchase my chicks. I would love to hear more about your experiences with chickens here in AK.

Welcome to BYC from California wine country in the Western Sierra Foothills.

There are quite a few Alaskan folks on BYC - check out the "Where am I - Where are you?" forum to meet even more BYCers in your neck of the woods, so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom