Long toenails on hen

Mar 26, 2022
Hi all,
My longtime trouble chicken, a 2-year-old Ameraucana, has toenails that are getting pretty out of control. I have tried clipping them in small increments in the past, but it hasn't seemed to work. If I clip them short and cut the quick, will I risk them getting infected? Thanks for any advice:)

Use a dog nail clipper. Wrap the hen tightly in a towel to confine her wings. Lay her on a table or your lap in bright light, sunlight being the best so you can see well.

Start by clipping tiny increments until a sort of faint dark circle begins to appear. This lets you know you are approaching the quick. The circle become smaller and more clearly defined as the quick approaches. Keep clipping incremental bits until you see a tiny bead of blood. That's when to stop.

If the nails are very light in color, if you position it so light shines through the nail, you may be able to see where the quick is. Not all nails are transparent, though.

No, it won't get infected if you hit the quick unless your substrate in coop and run is nothing but feces. To be on the safe side, you can spray the trimmed nail with Vetericyn.

If chickens are permitted to free range and scratch in the soil for bugs and seeds, this often eliminates the need for nail trimming because the nails are naturally worn down by this natural foraging.

Back
Top Bottom