Long Worm in dark poop

Acre4Me

Enabler
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
We have a broody in her own pen (only for the past few days, otherwise was in the main flock). She pooped a very stinky one which had this long white worm in the poop.

The only other pertinent info is that we have 2 Nigerian dwarf goats in an adjacent pen. They do not mingle with the chickens, but their bedding gets into the run. The goats stay in their pen unless they get a 5-10 min walk to a patch of clover and back.

What are the proper meds/routine to treat the chickens? What kind of worm is this?
IMG_2259.jpeg

It looks like a roundworm to me. Do you have Safe-guard goat dewormer(Fenbendazole suspension 10% )? It can also be used for chickens. Here is a quote with the dosage.
I would use Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole) to deworm.

For Roundworms Only, Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

Withdrawal period for either one if 14 days after the last dose. Some people observe a withdrawal period, especially if they have sensitivity to the above medications or if they sell their eggs.

It's a Roundworm.
You can use Safeguard Liquid Goat dewormer or Valbazen.

To treat Roundworms Only - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

Discard eggs for 14 days after the last dose, total of 14 days. Some people chose to ignore that, but I would not sell or give away the eggs. Can you identify the chicken who passed this dropping?
Yes. A broody hen in her own space but has only been in that space for several days. Would the whole flock be infected? My teen has looked at poop in main run and has not yet seen any more worms.

Back
Top Bottom