LONGEST LAYING FRIENDLIEST CHICKEN BREEDS?

sunnycadreamer

Chirping
Mar 23, 2021
So I'm looking to add one more pullet to my flock to replace a Brahma pullet that turned out to be a roo. What are some of the longest laying chickens that are friendly? I like eggs but, I'd rather a chicken that supplies 3 eggs a week for 6 years than one that lays 6 eggs a week for 2. She'll also be a pet too so I'd like someone friendly. We already have an Orpington, Wyandotte, Speckled Sussex, and an Olive Egger or Ameracauna (we'll see) It does get really hot here in the summer but, usually only over a hundred for two weeks. The rest of the year isn't bad. At night in the winter it may get as cold as 28F but usually it's in the 40's.

There are more mellow breeds, but friendliness depends solely on the individual chicken. See if anyone is selling hens on craigslist, now is the time when people who bought chicks on a whim are realizing chickens take more work then they bargained for.

There are more mellow breeds, but friendliness depends solely on the individual chicken. See if anyone is selling hens on craigslist, now is the time when people who bought chicks on a whim are realizing chickens take more work then they bargained for.
I'm curious what breeds would best match what I'm looking for. So egg laying longevity that are docile and friendly or have the tendency to be.

I'm curious what breeds would best match what I'm looking for. So egg laying longevity that are docile and friendly or have the tendency to be.
Ah, I see. Heritage breeds will be slower in in egg production, but live longer, as will breeder or show quality chickens. They haven't been bred down to focus on egg production. Finding just one will be hard.

So I'm looking to add one more pullet to my flock to replace a Brahma pullet that turned out to be a roo. What are some of the longest laying chickens that are friendly? I like eggs but, I'd rather a chicken that supplies 3 eggs a week for 6 years than one that lays 6 eggs a week for 2. She'll also be a pet too so I'd like someone friendly. We already have an Orpington, Wyandotte, Speckled Sussex, and an Olive Egger or Ameracauna (we'll see) It does get really hot here in the summer but, usually only over a hundred for two weeks. The rest of the year isn't bad. At night in the winter it may get as cold as 28F but usually it's in the 40's.
You should wait until one of your hens goes broody in a year or two and let her raise a couple chicks. It’s one of the cutest things to experience and watch. My favorites in my flock are my lavender Orpington and my black copper Marans and they are both super quiet.

Lavender Orpington and Wyandotte.

Back
Top Bottom