Longtail Hawk Strike Injuries?

NH-Song

Chirping
Apr 18, 2019
New Hampshire, USA
Two months ago, my pullet Enid suffered a hawk strike. She survived but with long-term injuries - there's something wonky about her leg, so she's slightly unsteady on her feet.

However, her neck is also twisted. It wasn't just after the strike, and after a bit of investigation, I figured that it might be wry neck. I'm going to get her vitamin supplements to see if they help. I've attached a couple of pictures to show her neck. She eats just fine, but her drinking is unusual; she doesn't tip her head up to get the water down her throat, but sort of twists her head in a circle, which seems to do the same thing.

What I'm more worried about, though, is that she's being relentlessly bullied by the boss hen, Parm. Because of the cold weather and the fact that I haven't gotten mesh netting to cover the bigger outdoor run, the flock has been under cover in the smaller run since November.

I think I'm going to have to try to re-home Enid, but before I do, I'm going to see if vitamins help with her neck.
120820 - enid neck.jpg 121020 - Enid neck.jpg

I would try the vitamins to see if those help.
400IU Vitamin E along with 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Give her some scrambled eggs for a treat.
I would also leave her on chick starter or and all flock feed, limit "treats" to the scrambled eggs and maybe a bit of veggies/fruit once a week.

Is her crop emptying completely overnight?

Back
Top Bottom