"Look at all them chickens"

mrsferg

Hatching
Feb 26, 2015
Southern Illinois
Hello!!
The title of this thread is what my husband said to me as he opened a brown box with chickens from our local farm store. (he is lucky he is cute)
Immediately the kids started screaming, claiming and naming and the dog would not stop barking!!! Talk about shock-n-awe.. lawd have mercy it was chaos!!!
Now we are settled in, chicks are adorable and building plans for coop are in process.
My husband only has some knowledge from when his family had chickens when he was younger, so I decided it is in the chicks best interest to join this forum :)
We have 12 chicks total, 4 Rhode Island Reds, 4 red sexlink, and no clue what the other 4 are unless there is actually 6 of each????
Currently they are in a large tote (6ft long) with chux lining the bottom, heat lamp, chick feed and water. I have read several threads on here and Google is my new BFF.
Any information anyone would like to share would be grateful :)

Welcome to the flock! Sounds like you have jumped (been pushed) in with both feet, lol. Enjoy the babies and get building, because they will grow way faster than you might expect and be ready to be up and out of the brooder.

welcome-byc.gif

Feel free to ask any questions you have and we will do our best to answer them! Be sure to check out the learning center!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!!

Congrats on those new babies!!! Make sure to give them plenty of room in the brooder, about a 1/2 square foot per bird, don't cover the lid with anything but a screen or wire for good heat and oxygen exchange. There is a nice article in our learning center on brooding chicks. I think it covers good materials to use in the brooder too...https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens

While you are there, go ahead and check out our entire learning center. Lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping your new flock....https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy this new journey you are on! If you run into any issues or have questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Good luck with your chicks! You should get lots of eggs from them when they're older, since they're all very productive breeds.
smile.png

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

If you're not sure what breed some of your chicks are, just post photos of them. We'll be happy to help identify them.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom