1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Look at how Tom has changed!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by desertdarlene, Nov 20, 2010.

1. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Tom the famous Muscovy Duck at Lake Murray in San Diego is going through a molt and is looking really pretty so far! But, he's lost some weight (it could be because he hasn't grown all his feathers back). Tom is really old and I think the change of weather has made him a little slower and sleepier. He's also mostly blind and you have to call him for dinner. I am trying to take as many photos of him as I can as I don't think he's going to be around a whole lot longer (but I could be wrong).

Here's a photo of him before (he was still pretty):

[​IMG]

Here he is today (the wind was blowing his feathers), sorry for the blur:

[​IMG]

And, here he is getting his food for the day:

[​IMG]

He's missing his speculum feathers, so I think he's not done growing them back. Hopefully, he is keeping warm with the lack of feathers.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have a drake thats looks just like the 2nd picture his name is Ernie and he's 7years old. Still going strong and very much a ladies man. Or I should say he is the man! lol

3. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Tom would love some hens to mess around with, I think, he doesn't seem to like the mallard hens. Someone said he's 20 years old, but I don't think he's quite that old. I think he's at least 10, possibly 15 years old.

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
  5. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:No, I haven't seen the San Diego meetup thread! I will go read it through, thanks!

I would love to rescue him, but so many people love him that I think I would upset a lot of people if he disappeared. After his last muscovy buddy died, someone said they were going to take him to another pond with other muscovies but were told that muscovies mate/pair for life and he wouldn't adjust. Of course, I know that's wrong, but I didn't want to argue. I think it's more that he didn't want to take him, possibly because of the new laws.

6. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Wow he is a very pretty drake, reminds me of one of mine I used to have.. [​IMG]

7. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:Cool! Tom is doing well in the cool, wet weather we've been having. He was sleeping when I last saw him. I think his primaries are starting to grow back, not that he uses them very much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by