Look at how Tom has changed!

desertdarlene

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 4, 2010
San Diego
Tom the famous Muscovy Duck at Lake Murray in San Diego is going through a molt and is looking really pretty so far! But, he's lost some weight (it could be because he hasn't grown all his feathers back). Tom is really old and I think the change of weather has made him a little slower and sleepier. He's also mostly blind and you have to call him for dinner. I am trying to take as many photos of him as I can as I don't think he's going to be around a whole lot longer (but I could be wrong).

Here's a photo of him before (he was still pretty):

64797_muscovy.jpg

Here he is today (the wind was blowing his feathers), sorry for the blur:

64797_tom21120.jpg

And, here he is getting his food for the day:

64797_tom1120.jpg

He's missing his speculum feathers, so I think he's not done growing them back. Hopefully, he is keeping warm with the lack of feathers.

I have a drake thats looks just like the 2nd picture his name is Ernie and he's 7years old. Still going strong and very much a ladies man. Or I should say he is the man! lol

Tom would love some hens to mess around with, I think, he doesn't seem to like the mallard hens. Someone said he's 20 years old, but I don't think he's quite that old. I think he's at least 10, possibly 15 years old.

Quote:
No, I haven't seen the San Diego meetup thread! I will go read it through, thanks!

I would love to rescue him, but so many people love him that I think I would upset a lot of people if he disappeared. After his last muscovy buddy died, someone said they were going to take him to another pond with other muscovies but were told that muscovies mate/pair for life and he wouldn't adjust. Of course, I know that's wrong, but I didn't want to argue. I think it's more that he didn't want to take him, possibly because of the new laws.

Quote:
Cool! Tom is doing well in the cool, wet weather we've been having. He was sleeping when I last saw him. I think his primaries are starting to grow back, not that he uses them very much.

Back
Top Bottom