Look at my new chicken!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by My Little Sister's Farm, May 20, 2008.

1. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    My mom won her in a raffle at a rabbit show this weekend! What breed is she? (in case someone doesn't realize - she's a stuffed hen, not really alive anymore.)

[​IMG]

I added the eggs under her. Her previous owner didn't understand how much happier she'd be if she had a purpose. So we put some of our hollowed out eggs under her and she perked right up.

Isn't she fabulous!

2. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    [​IMG]

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

That's just fantastic!!!

I can see the sparkle in her eye!

BTW, all this talk about stuffed chicken is making me hungry! [​IMG]

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I've seen stuffed chickens on the internet, but I didn't realize people actually had them. My first guess was a bored taxidermist who just had fresh chicken. LOL

It is very interesting. I wonder what the live hens would think if you stuck that in their nest one night!

She does look much better with eggs.

I do not know what breed she is. I wonder what made them decide to immortalize her in the life-like artwork. I wonder if she was very broody in life? Wouldn't that be neat?

-Kim

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Just took another look.... Isn't it a rooster? Maybe with the larger tail feathers removed.. but look at that saddle... LOL..

[​IMG] I think it is a rooster made to look like a hen..

-Kim

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  6. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    there are actually companies making bank with taxidermy roosters. I'm pretty sure it's a hen, if it isn't it should be, she looks better as a girl anyway. the feathers are really girlie in the back but you're right about the saddle being male like. i don't think there were any long tail feathers if it was though, it has too full a tail.

i think it's a kick and as i want to decorate my dining room in a tuscan chicken theme, i really wanted to have one of my roos and a hen done. now i just need a roo. my mom actually is friends with an award winning taxidermist who has offered to "immortalize" one of my roosters, i will hopefully take him up on that soon as a few of my roosters are getting old and i think they are beautiful enough for display. although i'd be just fine with getting one with a $.25 raffle ticket. although most i've seen look really mean, the roos i mean, i want one that looks regal and like a leader, the Abe Lincoln of roosters, not vicious.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  7. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    Wow, they did a good job! And so did you; nice display.

8. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    LOL that is really cool! But yes that is a rooster lol [​IMG]

9. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    Yuck. Looks like a Wyandotte. Columbian styled tail but missing the black feathers in its neck. It is a Roo.

10. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Long hackle (neck feathers) Saddle (Right before the tail). and long tail feathers.. Its a rooster..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by