Look at what I found when I opened the coop this morning!

chickenlady08

Songster
10 Years
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Shore, VA
This is what I found this morning when I opened up the coops for my chickens:

37732_snake-7-9-11.jpg

Needless to say I woke my husband up from sleeping when I screamed quite loud and surprised I didn't wake up everyone in the house.

My son said he committed suicide because he was dead when I got out there. Still scared the startch out of me though.

Looks like a black rat snake, about 6.5' long. weird that is was already dead. had you noticed an issues with your chickens or decrease in egg production?

That happened here too.. we had some of that deer netting blow off the coop in the winter time.. we thought nothing of it.. in the spring we kept smelling something dead around the coop....a few day later we found a huge black snake half in the creek and half out all tangled in the mesh... I felt so bad.. he was helping out with my rat problem.. scard the bejezzesus outta me too.. but I figured once the rats and mice were all gone he would eventually start after the eggs...

Quote:
Yes it was dead, it got it's head stuck in the netting and my husband had to cut the netting to get it down. It was a good sized one that is for sure. It wasn't a poisonous snake I know that. We only have copperheads around here that are poisonous and that was not what it was. I just call it a black snake and I think on my FB page someone called it a black racer or something like that. Yes thankfully in that coop I have only adult chickens but I do have some broodies on eggs in there.

Back
Top Bottom