Look at what I found when I opened the coop this morning!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickenlady08, Jul 9, 2011.

1. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    This is what I found this morning when I opened up the coops for my chickens:

[​IMG]

Needless to say I woke my husband up from sleeping when I screamed quite loud and surprised I didn't wake up everyone in the house.

My son said he committed suicide because he was dead when I got out there. Still scared the startch out of me though.

2. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    [​IMG]

3. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    He's probably one of those darn chicken rights activists, willing to die for his cause [​IMG]

4. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    Oh my goodness! [​IMG]

Was it dead? What kind of snake is it? I'm so glad it didn't get one of your girls, yikes!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  5. ManDash

ManDash Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2011
    Kansas City, KS
    Looks like a black rat snake, about 6.5' long. weird that is was already dead. had you noticed an issues with your chickens or decrease in egg production?

6. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    Wow talk about a scare !!!

7. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:This is exactly what I did when I leaned down and said what is this right near my face. Didn't you hear my scream? lol

8. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:Yea sure lets call him one of those. lol.... I was sick stomach til mid afternoon (did I tell you all that snakes literally creep me out)

9. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    That happened here too.. we had some of that deer netting blow off the coop in the winter time.. we thought nothing of it.. in the spring we kept smelling something dead around the coop....a few day later we found a huge black snake half in the creek and half out all tangled in the mesh... I felt so bad.. he was helping out with my rat problem.. scard the bejezzesus outta me too.. but I figured once the rats and mice were all gone he would eventually start after the eggs...

10. chickenlady08

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:Yes it was dead, it got it's head stuck in the netting and my husband had to cut the netting to get it down. It was a good sized one that is for sure. It wasn't a poisonous snake I know that. We only have copperheads around here that are poisonous and that was not what it was. I just call it a black snake and I think on my FB page someone called it a black racer or something like that. Yes thankfully in that coop I have only adult chickens but I do have some broodies on eggs in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by