Look at what my husbands coworker found

then keep them...finders keepers..it's not like your house is going to get raided for having them..if they want to fly away it's up to them. someone else's negligent dog will kill them as well if allowed. ppl. really need to keep their dogs in check...ughhhhh!!

They look like wood ducks and you really should find a Rehabilitation center or a licensed game breeder member
You need to watch them close to make sure they are eating and drinking or they will die
As long as they are feeding your good
If not wet down some starter feed to a paste and wipe it on their bill to stimulate feeding
You need to do that wether or not you find a rehab for them too keep them alive
Wood ducks feed their own initialy

I say wood ducks.. I found 1 abandoned wood duck last summet and raised him... he was the Best.. my page has
my story.. we live on a Lake and I let him make the choice to stay or leave when he was old enough... he found other
ducks here and did leave with them to go south for the winter.. it was a happy and sad time but i would do it all over
again. good luck.
love.gif

They are adorable! But you are risking big fines and jail time. I know for a fact that if a conservation agent hears of this they will raid your house and since you posted it on a forum I would be worried. I have seen this happen to a guy that lives a couple miles from me...they arrested him. Even if you play dumb and say you didn't know it was illegal it won't save you from prosecution it's a "strict-liability" law. Here are link you can read more about it http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/about/faqs/birds/feathers.htm Trust me they are cute ducks but not worth the risk, I would get rid of them fast. Good luck.

I agree with Show Me Chick...You have posted on a public forum that you have these ducks in your possession and we as a forum are pretty agreeable on them being wood ducks...Also one thing - wood ducks wild caught (which these are) - are notorious for dying in captivity without proper care. Can you hand all 5 of your little cute babies dying because you don't have the proper knowledge and ability to care for them? These guys are really skiddish and stress easy, and they for whatever reason from my hearing second hand, hard to get adjusted to eating and drinking and living like a domesticated duck.

just some food for thought...again - good luck.

We are looking for a place to take them. I called a couple of places yesterday but nobody answered. I will keep trying. We don't have the room to keep them. They are eating and drinking. They can jump so high! It has been fun to watch them. The girl I got them from has heard several rescues around here will feed smaller animals to bigger ones, so she doesn't want me to take them there. It's making it a little difficult to find a place to take them. I read you face up to 6 months in prison and a $15,000 fine, I am not risking that!

Go to www.duckrescue.org and look up some one near you. Or call your local fish and game department.

Good job getting them to a rehabilitator.

The part about feeding them to larger animals is not true. A licensed rehabilitator will raise them to be released.

I finally talked to someone who will take them. I am getting ready to leave but my husband wants to wait until I talk to the girl because we told her we would let her know before we did anything with them. She did not answer her phone so now I am just waiting on her to call back. Hopefully soon because I am ready to go.

Back
Top Bottom