Look at what was eating my Chicken Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LauraSBale, Nov 9, 2009.

1. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

I went to open everyone up yesterday morning and Honey Bees were eating there feed, [​IMG]

they were all inside the feeder, all around, poor chickens couldn't get there feed, [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Yucky!
    Did you get rid of them? Around here, so many farmers make a living off honey bees, we never kill any, but if they are more plentiful in your area, I would have kilt them for sure!

3. LauraSBale

by late afternoon they were gone, and they weren't back this morning,

down the road from us, they have honey bee hives, my daughter was trying to step on them and i told her not to, that there Honey bees

the Neighbor said they probably dont have any food and there coming to chicken feed, gee i wonder what that honey will taste like [​IMG]

4. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    I would cut some fruit and put it out where the bees can get it but teh chickens wont. They need food before winter.

We have them allll over our pears right now.

5. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Ishy I wouldnt eat that honey.

Yeha my kids actually go to daycare at a beekeepers so they know how precious honeybees are! They always remind me that we cant kill them.

6. Vugaris

Vugaris Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Hhmmmm. I don't think we have found out yet what exactly the honey bees are doing with the feed. I have seen other instances of A. mellifera coming to bird feeders and bird seed, but the only problem is that the bees cannot eat any kind of solid. So what exactly are the bees doing? Not sure

7. LauraSBale

Well they came back this afternoon,
    it looks like they are eating the feed,

you know i didn't even think about putting fruit out for them, I will do that tomorrow.

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I have noticed a lot of honey bees around here lately (although none in the feed!) I guess they are stocking up for the winter and that's why I'm seeing so much activity.

I like honey bees because they are the only flying/stinging wasp/bee that I am not deathly afraid of. (Those I have met are gentle, be my luck one day I'd get killed by a pack of the african killer bees)

9. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    A friend who has hives says they are storing up for winter, to put a dish of sugar with a tiny bit of water and a drop of vanilla away from where they are congregating, they will move over there- noticed my chickens won't eat them- guess they don't like 'spicey' food. [​IMG]

10. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

They're using it as a pollen substitute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by