look what came today! Pics!

We warned you they got stinky quick....
lau.gif

I have 48 right now and we are on the count down to slaughter day, a week from this Friday.
yippiechickie.gif

thank you UncleHoot I appreciate the advice.
We feel fortunate that they are doing well, (the people we ordered with have lost two - and they raise them twice a year) So far so good I guess - knock on wood!
We just need to work on the stink factor I guess. I can only put them in the house at night, and even then I am putting out every air freshner I have!
sickbyc.gif
mmajw you were not kidding!!!
I think our garage is too hot (faces east) to put them in, so the house will have to do... to all of you that rasie these birds often, my hat is off to you - the smell alone is enough to make me not so sure!!!!!!
th.gif

Last edited:
I wanted to update the photos of our little meaties.
They were three weeks old yesterday and I weighed one today, it was two pounds. I weighed one of our cuckoo marans for comparison (they are about 8 weeks old) and she weighed one pound. Is it normal for their breasts to look like they are about to drag ground? (and why is one breast on all of our chickens larger than the other side?)
We started them this past Monday on a 28% grower feed. We were worried that the crumbles were to big for them, but they did great, seem to eat more and waste less.
11513_meaties_7.jpg

You got your meaties the same day I did. I am feeding mine 20% chick starter. I wanted 22 but couldn't find it. When they finish that I am putting them on 18% until THE DAY!!
D.gif

Where did you find 28%? I actually never heard of that.

Looking at your pics, they look about the same as mine although I haven't weighed them. Cackle told me they would be ready at six weeks. I wonder. I was thinking 8 weeks.

I hear ya on the smell thing. Mine are living outside in a small run and coup. I can't stand the stink. I don't know if I will do the Cornish x again because of it. My problem is I can't free range so I don't know how rangers would work out either. I might do plain old roo's the next time.

First though I have to process these ........I've never done this before. Helps that their so ugly and impersonal though.

Good luck with yours.........keep us updated.
wee.gif

Game bird starter is normally high like 28 percent, here the purina feed stores carry it.

ML

Lol I raised 25 last Dec. and I didn't think they were ugly..lol I'm weird i guess! Anyways I kept mine in our wash rack area that is 10x10 cement and I put tarp over it with shavings and it took a good while for them to make it stink in there. I raised some this March and with the heat they made it smell faster, still not too bad though. I also thought they were quite friendly and like able...I actually named a few...
lol.png

Good luck!

we keep ours (25 straight run) in a hoop house tractor and let them out a little with supervision.

i move it every day and lime the area, then hose down. totally no smell!!!

they are lovable even if they are kind of ugly. i have two that like mom to rub their bellies.

i will go out and get a picture for you so you can get the idea.

only 4 weeks till dinner....

Our chick starter is Naturewise. It is from a ranch store near by. We were excited to find such a high percentage. The grower/finisher was 20%, the guy at the store was raising 75 of them and it is what he recommended. It was the only meat bird grower that was 28% of all the kinds they had.
ETA it was $18.50 per 50 lbs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom