look what came today! Pics!

rypie13

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 6, 2008
This is our first mail order delivery!! It was so exciting to get them!
For some reason I forgot to get waterers, so I used the little one
I had and ran to three different ranch supply stores
to find some one gallon waterers(is that even a word?) I also got
another feeder, since they seem to like to sleep in the food.
It is 104 today, so I have kept them in a secure kennel out in the shady area, they are very active, not huddled or panting-- so I hope that is enough heat for them!
anyway, I'm trying not to fall in love with the little "meaties" but gosh they are cute!
love.gif

they are all pullets from Belt hatcheries.

11513_chickens_018.jpg

11513_chickens_021.jpg

11513_chickens_022.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you ! We are really excited, but I am so worried about keeping the right temp! I hope all of yours are big and tasty too!!
ETA I saw some pics somebody posted and they were truly ugly!

Last edited:
They are only cute for about a week then they are sweaty and stinky and not so cute anymore.

Good luck with them

gig.gif

They already have quite the appetite! We replenish our two food containers twice a day. they don't empty it, but they get it far enough down that they start slipping around (they get right in) and I am afraid for those legs!:eek:

Well you people aren't joking. It is 2 days from the week mark and they are plain stinky! I have been cleaning out sections of the brooder, but today it all had to go! They are cute little things, but geez the smell! If our temps are really warm and I have a shady run all ready for them is it ok to put them out on the ground before they are all feathered out? Do I need to worry about them free ranging? I had heard it can bind them up and then they can't poop? I just think having a little more space and fresh air will help a lot with the smell! And they are growing so fast, We will be separating them into two brooders, and possibly three, but if they can go out that would be better during the day. I have put the brooder outside during the day and not used heat, but kept them in a shady area, and they seem active and a good temp. I just wasn't sure about grass and pine needles at this point.
ETA pic and comment
what a difference 5 days make! (see above pics)
11513_chickens_002.jpg

Last edited:
I put mine permanently outside in their movable pen at 15 days from hatch, which was yesterday. The general, recommended age is 3 weeks, but with these hot temps we've been having, I figured it was more of a risk to keep them in the coop/brooder all day than to put them outside. I'd recommend waiting until they are at least 2 weeks old, though. Our night-time temps aren't expected to drop below 60 for the next week, which should be plenty warm for them. My Colored Range Broilers are still in the coop/brooder for another couple days.

The first week, they need to be kept really warm, but they begin to regulate their own body temps shortly after that. As long as you keep their temps 80+ at this point, they should be ok wherever they are, and that temperature can decrease about 3-4 degrees/day at this point. 55 degrees at 2 weeks, and freezing temps at 3 weeks, though I doubt you'll need to worry about that. Realistically, you can probably move them outside during the day, then perhaps inside at night for the next few days.

My meat chickens are in a movable pen, and they've never had poop problems. It's pretty close to free range. As far as pine needles, I don't have any experience. I have nearby pines, but their needles don't fall where I drag the pen.

Back
Top Bottom