..look what happend.. UPDATES

RAWR

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
who wants to know?
this morning i woke up about 5:30 to the sound of a hen screaming. i didnt think much of it, just that they were throwing their usual fit. so i get some pants and shoes on, and go outside to find half the flock dead in the run with our male german shepard standing there with a wagging tail. we lost over half of our new chicks that we got in the spring. all together we lost 2 Black Australorps, 2 EEs, 4 Buff Brahmas, 4 Golden Comets, our new Barred Rock pullet, both our specled susexes, our Polish roo, Spooky, one of our blue Cochin hens, and my favorite. CheesePuff. the Buff Orp. she died in my arms.
there was one that was attacked, and made it. it was a little GC pullet. shes so shocked, she cant stand. i found her curled up next to CheesePuff. Then later on i found my white cochin hen, Annabelle, attacked, but alive. Our rooster, Fluffy put up a fight. When i found him and the rest of the girls in the coop, he had a hurt eye and was muddy and covered in dog spit.
i cant tell you how angry i am of that dog..how many times i've thrown up, or how long it will be before everything is okay in the coop. if i had the choice, the dog would be dead. i hate him. hes done this before and he knows better...i hate him. and i need help with dealing with this..

..i had just started naming them...
__________________________________________________________________________________
ok, now heres some updates on whats going on.
yes, i did delete the pix. soo ya.
anyway, everyones doing good, i have to isolate our roo, Fluffy tho
hmm.png

as for the dog, he's my step-dad's and we (my mom and him) were wanting to breed Klaus(the killer dog) and Zelda
=.= like we really need to do that... but what my step daddy is gonna do is hes gonna make Klaus his own cage out back far far away from the chickens.
hes a link
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=353610

Last edited by a moderator:
how awful i'm so sorry. I would get rid of him to and find a home without chickens, he has a taste for them now, and is a dog so he is just doing what comes natural. So sorry

I am so sorry for your losses. I can imagine this is difficult. but my advice; if the dog has done it before then it will do it again, given the opportunity. he must think they are play things, he didnt' seem to kill to eat anything. in the best interest of your flock either get rid of the dog, or strenghthen your coop and run against intuders. either way you will save yourself some grief inthe long run.

My goodness, I am so incredibly sorry to hear what happened. I feel your pain - we have a Boston Terrier who's done the same thing a few times. Since then we've ramped up our security measures to ensure she doesn't get out and it's not happened in a long time. Our Chow Chow and Norweigian Elkhound couldn't care less about the chickens, unlike the Boston Terrier.
barnie.gif

Many
hugs.gif
to you today and for the days to come.
hugs.gif

So sorry for your loss, this kind of thing is so heart breaking,

I have had to put down a few dogs over the thrill of the kill , when a dog kills like this you just don't know what it's next target will be.

I have put the word "GRAPHIC" in your title and I am moving this to Predators where folks expect this type picture. Sorry for your loss. Best to make triple sure dogs and birds cannot mix.

hes done this before and he knows better...i hate him. and i need help with dealing with this..

He does NOT know better, obviously.
hmm.png
It's up to the owner to make sure the dog can't get to the birds.

Honestly, it made me a bit sick this morning after clicking on the thread, not knowing what the subject was. Next time, if there is a next time, please put a HUGE warning in the title.​

So sorry for your poor babies. I agree he will probably do it again. He seemed to have so much fun and it is a game to him. Do you know how he got into the run? Maybe if you can post it, it will help others avoid the same problems with thier runs.

How horrible to lose your beloved chickens to the family dog. I'd make sure that dog was kept up and never, ever be allowed near chickens again. Unfortunately, he's just a dog. This is what they do. In our neck of the woods chicken-killing dogs are shot where they stand. No mercy at all..as country folk consider this a serious breach of country etiquette because losing chickens is serious loss of income.

Back
Top Bottom