Look What I came home with tonight!!! update on post 31

Beautiful little Shih tzu you have there and I am so glad that he now has a home where he will be loved and given the attention that he needs and desires.

I have 5 Shih tzu's at this time and have had this breed for over 20 years and in my opinion they are very easy to housebreak the most important thing is like someone else has said be consistent, we have a 5 year old male, a 3 year old female and 2 pups that are 6 months old and 2 weeks ago we got another little male who's was destined for the pound if we didn't take him he is 12 weeks old.

To me what has worked best in housebreaking them has been to take them outside first thing every morning when I get up, then take them out at least 2 or 3 times during the day more times if you can, and make sure you take them out just before you go to bed at night. Doing this i've never had any problems with mine. When I am going to be away from the house for any length of time I will also place a couple of the puppy pads down and they use those when they can't go outside. Now there is the occasional accident from one of the younger pups but thats to be expected.

I also agree wholeheartedly with your husband about NOT using a crate and training him that way. My little female I rescued from a bad situation where she was kept in a small kennel and wire cage and if you try to put her in a crate she goes absolutely crazy and starts crying and wets all over herself. She was NOT housebroken when we got her and she was a grown dog and within 2 months she was completely housebroken. And since you've said your little guy is somewhat timid I think with just a little patience, love and kindness he will amaze you at how easy he will be to housetrain. Also as someone else said they do tend to bond with one person more so than a whole family, not saying they will not be great friends and companions with other family members but they make no bones about who their number one person is. And they will do everything they possibly can to make sure their number one person is pleased and happy with them.

Congrats on the new baby!!! He's so cute!!!

Definately give the pee pads a try, you might also get some of the spray to put on them that encourages puppies. I used this method on an older dog we adopted and had good results. The pad helped him know where to go in the house, until you have his routine down. Less surprises!!

Good Luck!!!
thumbsup.gif

Good for you for taking him in and for being willing to work through any issues he may have. Almost all of our dogs are ones that were cast offs that other people didn't want and they are some wonderful, beautiful, loving creatures. I just don't understand people who think they don't think and feel simply because they are animals.

Last edited:
cate training does not hurt a dog . they love their own little space. yes first take him out every hour. feed him on a schedule. i bet he will be train him in a week after u figure out when he pee. ran a pet rescue we got a chi mix and he was4 yr and by the end of the week he was going out with boys[dogs] only 4xday and stop peeing in the house

Quote:
Same here - but it has been 2 years. I litterally petted her for 1/2 straight the other night and then stopped. She started whining and barking for more
roll.png

Good luck with your new little guy! It is so hard on them to get passed from one home to another.

I never liked little dogs, now I have 3
Precious was running the neighborhood, She showed up about 3 yrs ago, My daughters dog had just died, I believe it was meant to be. She came in the house like she had lived here her whole life She is a small beagle mix.

Then My middle daughter got Louie (chihuahua ) He also had been past around. Since she couldn't get him house broke (and he hated her husband) She brought him to my house wityh the girls ( I babyset them) every day, Then after a few weeks she quit taking him home. My husband tells Louie for his birthday he is glueing him to my butt, He is MY buddy.

Then is Shelby(chihuahua ) who we just got

Here is a picture of Precios and Louie, I'm A bad mom and don't have a picture of Shelby yet
ll go in a crate together when we leave, Poor Louie can't stand it when I leave and will MARK the house , So a crate is a must, but they all run and jump in of course they get thier favorite treats for going in.

12879_precandlouie.jpg

12879_precious.jpg

well we got up over an hour ago, and to update on last night...we went to bed rather late, letting him out three times before bedtime. but then he came in and peed on the floor :-/ by the garbage can. so we gave him a time out in his little bed and he listened quite well I just had to point to it and say lay down and he did and stayed. a couple minutes later I called him over to me. and he was all cuddly and cute.

we brought him to our bedroom for the night and he was running all over the bed and the floor and did that for an hour, so we decided to put him in his crate that lasted maybe 10 minutes cause he was scratching away at it and crying and making all the other dogs howl and cry. So I got up and took a piece of advice and evolved it. I took one of my toddlers diapers measured where his tail would go cut out a hole in it a little bigger than his tail (this was not very easy with the only scissors I could find lol) I then put his tail through it and secured it with the velcro straps up on his back so it would be harder for him to take it off. well he slept the whole night didn't even care about the diaper. My Dh was shaking his head at me, but I told him, I don't care what you say, at least if he is tempted to go you won't be waking up to pee on the mink blankets on the bed. as soon as we got up the diaper came off and he went straight outside. he has been out three times now, and has gone each time.

we then introduced him to the other dogs, starting with the saint, then the husky and then the other three all at once because those three are used to small animals and have always been good around them. the girls are not really interested in him but they gave him kisses and went back to bed, lol, my dogs are lazy, the husky is the only one that was a little iffy he is still a puppy himself only 8 months old, and he raised the fur on his back and was trying to make himself look bigger to Hank, I guess maybe he feels a bit threatened, but he didn't show any other signs of aggression, no ears back or curling lips, but either way we will do short visits a few times a day until the hair raising stops. Because my big dogs play aggressively when out together Hank will only be going out by himself or with our oldest lab who with a small pup is very very gentle.

I haven't seen any bad habits from Hank as of yet, chewing or scratching at anything and he listens real well.

I think this is wonderful! That will be the best dog you ever had. I got my MollieMargaret (RIP) when she was six from a rescue home. She was so grateful to have a forever home.

Aww cute! Little dogs can be so challenging with the potty training. I have a pomeranian, and he took almost a whole year to potty train. I thought I would go nuts! He's five now, and we just love him.

We just bought an Irish Terrier not too long ago, and she's a puppy. She's been really hard to potty train as well. She's already grown to be a little larger than our pom, Cosmo. She seemed to be perfectly potty trained a couple of weeks ago and now, it's like she's had a setback. So back to square one with her......watching her every minute, caging her when we get busy......

It is discouraging with a puppy, that's for sure!
th.gif

Good luck with the little guy!

Very cute!

Back
Top Bottom