Look what I found DUMPSTER DIVING!!!! Woo Hoo!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MBLayfield, Jan 24, 2008.

1. MBLayfield

MBLayfield Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Wellsville, UT
    [​IMG] I was dumpster diving in town.... LOL, for boxes. I was helping my daughter and son in law pack their apartment to move in with us. (Thats another story) In the process of locating boxes in dumpsters I stumbled across this beautiful thing [​IMG]

I conned my brothers and husband to pick it up for me before we quit for the day. It took 4 men to move it!

This thing is sweet! It's on skids, has 1x4's for flooring and had hinges on one side, so that the side lays down. I haven't measured it with a tape but its about 4x6.

Can you guess what its going to be when I get done with it? LOL

DH said that he would put a slanted roof on it and some siding so it matches my big coop if I wanted. Of course I want! Just big enough for a flock of little silkies. Which then free's up the three pens inside my coop. Which allows me to fill said pens with something else!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I totally scored on this one! I asked the shops in the area if I could have it and they said YES! It was a box that they shipped a pizza oven in. New coop for me, new coop for me! Woo Hoo!

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    WOW thats awesome!!! [​IMG]

3. OHChick

OHChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    how awesome is that! congrats! i could use a few things that size, they'd be great for run in sheds for some other livestock too! [​IMG]

4. MBLayfield

MBLayfield Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Wellsville, UT
    LOL I know you guys! I almost dropped when I asked and they said yes! I just knew that the shop owner would say no way!

I did fallover however when my husband volunteered to side it and make it match my other coop.

Now if the snow would just thaw out now so I can get it back where its going that would be great!

I can't wait! [​IMG]

5. HenHappy

HenHappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    Talk about SCORE!!! I'd love to see pics of when you remodel it! What a great project!

NICE HUSBAND!!![​IMG]

6. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    Wow!! That is just the coolest!

7. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Wish my roommate would find something that useful when he was dumpster diving. Mostly he comes home with discarded books, clothing, and broken electronic stuff (that he says he can "fix"). [​IMG]

8. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Some people have all the luck don't they? Congrats on your find. It's gonna make a nice home for your silkies.

9. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    wow you have great dumpsters in your area! All I find is rotten food scraps.

10. TheMartianChick

TheMartianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe someone can find out who manufactures and sells those ovens. You might be able to get a steady supply of chicken coops for cheap![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by