1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

look what i found when i went to the coop today*** warning Graphic****

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by farmboydj, May 28, 2011.

1. farmboydj

farmboydj Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    puyallup wa
    so i went out to the coop today and i found this laying on the ground i have a enclosed coop so i dont think something could have gotten in and gotten it and i know it happened some time today. do you think if the other chickens ate this it would be safe to eat the eggs? what do you think happened?[​IMG]:sick:sick:sick

[​IMG]

2. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    something definitely got in there.
    weasels can get in very tight spots
    sorry for your loss

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Is it me, or did anyone notice that the prior two postson this thread are gone?

4. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    Quote:maybe a weasel got them

5. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    OMG!!! I am new to chickens, so I can't help. But i sure you find out what did this.

6. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    OMG makes me want to cry....ur other birds did not attack it did they?? i know if you have more than one roo...they can fight to the death...poor little guy [​IMG]

7. farmboydj

farmboydj Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    puyallup wa
    i think it might be a raccoon or a opossum we do not have weasels here. but i do hope i find what did it and it wont be a happy day for it

8. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:Well if you have an enclosed coop, then nothing big should have been able to get in. check the run and area for "dig" holes to see if you can find the source of entry..otherwise i would keep and eye on the lil ones that are left to make sure they are not fighting.

9. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    What time of day did you find the carcass? I have never, ever seen my chickens pick over a dead coopmate like that--it has to be something that got in.

Predators can be crafty buggers, finding small holes to slide through to get an easy chicken dinner.

Is your coop's door open at night? Search the enclosure for stretched wires. Is the enclosure hardware cloth or something else?

10. Quinn4321

Quinn4321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    P.A/M.D border, USA
    maybe a mink? i didnt know i had them in my area until my ferocious scottish terrier killed one that i think was trying to get into the coop. It was as long as her, but only about a 4 in diameter

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by