Look what I found!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ridgefire, Aug 15, 2008.

1. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Went out to the barn this afternoon to fix a broken light in the coop. After being disappointed this morning of not finding anything. I get this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That makes 4 eggs in 3 days...... [​IMG]

At least now they have nest boxes to lay in. I didn't have any nesting material in the boxes. I wasn't expecting eggs yet. I knew they were close they just turned 18 weeks.

It was funny yesterday while my wife and I were in town I said we should pick up oyster shell, because they should start laying any week now.
    I wasn't planning out putting out any yet, just to have it. I went to set the bag in the corner of the barn and there was an egg laying there. I knew the girls had gotten into the barn while I was outside but I didn't give it much thought.

After finding the one egg I decided I should prepare the nest boxes, I pick up the bale of pine shavings and low and behold there's another egg. [​IMG]

Maybe I should let them play in the barn more often.

I swear chickens amaze you every day.

And heres a pic of the girls enjoying a beautiful day.

As you can see there is a waiting line for the best dusting hole.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Hey, you got a chicken laying golf balls...JK! SWEET girls, and congrats on your fresh eggs! Enjoy them! [​IMG]

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    [​IMG]

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Those golf balls really work...still waiting for my first egg, shouldn't be too long, the girls were 14 weeks old yesterday...Congrats!

5. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    The other amazing part is their dirt track used to be as green as it is on the other side of the fence.

[​IMG]

6. krjwaj

krjwaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Apex, NC
    Awesome! Congrats! That third photo is the best [​IMG]

7. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    golf balls dont work for me. mine always pick up and move out if theres a golfball in there...

8. oldegger

oldegger Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Monclova, OH
    Quote:Just feed them plastic pellets instead of laying feed [​IMG]

9. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Woo Hoo! New eggs are so exciting! I got 3 eggs in 4 days this week! Best eggs I ever ate!!!!

10. denahli

denahli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    [​IMG]

Golf ball laying chickens on plastic pellets! I knew the world was going slideways. Next thing you know dogs and cats will be playing together and my roo will be laying bic pens!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by