Look What I Just Got For Free!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Southern Chickens, May 3, 2009.

1. Southern Chickens

Southern Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    I went to buy some Silkie chicks from a guy and he gave me this Turn-X incubator!!! Model number TX7. It is all cleaned up and seems to work. I just pluged it in and it is getting warmer in there!! I am so excited!!! Does anyone have one of these? How do you like it? I plan on ordering a new turning rack, bottle and wicks, maybe a new thermometer.

My four new Silkie chicks! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My new toy!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    That's great! I'm not familiar with those but a freebie is a goodie anytime!

3. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    WOW those are expensive to buy new. Very nice.

4. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    I have an older Turn X6.. My first bator.. And I love it.. Out of 18 shipped button quail eggs.. 11 hatched.. And all 3 of my own hatched.. They are great. But be careful with the humidity.. If you get to much water in there.. Its a bit hard to get out.. I used a rag to soak up extra water that I accidentally put in..

Edited to add.. Yes it is a great freebie.. I paid just slightly under $200, including shipping on mine.. And mine needed the wires reattached cause they came loose in shipping..

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  5. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    That's the type that my son's 1st grade teacher uses every year to hatch eggs in her classroom...she said they are super expensive! Last year she had about a 50% hatch rate...good luck!!
    ADORABLE Silkies!!! [​IMG]

6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

That's just like one I bought on ebay for $108.00 + s/h. It's the first one I've ever had/used, and it has done a GREAT job so far! I hatched a batch of OEGB bb red babies and I have a bunch of eggs I bought from DipseyDoodleDoo that are in the process of hatching now (7 out, 13 to go) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] (and this is after a circuit problem/power outage dropping temp down to 72 degrees while I was gone from the house [​IMG] [​IMG] and after I moved them to the laundry room, I put them on top of the washing machine, not thinking about whether or not they'd be affected by the vibration on the spin cycle. (apparently not, or if so, they overcame it). It doesn't hold a lot of eggs (humidity gauge and thermometer take up a good bit of room), but it holds temp VERY well and I like the clear dome/sides that give a nice view of what's going on inside. I hope you have many cycles of happy healthy hatching! congrats on a MAGNIFICENT freebie! [​IMG] [​IMG]

eta: the one I bought was used, purchased from a seller in LA. that said she'd had much success and had used it quite often, and the one I bought did NOT have a turner w/ it. I'd say you got a REALLY GREAT gift there!

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  7. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Nice bator [​IMG] ! They are like $200 bucks I think new! You are 1 lucky ducky..., or should I say lucky chicky(ies) [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's $409.99 on Amazon.

9. sarahs31

sarahs31 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    Awesome! I borrowed my friend's and we are on day 22. this was an incubator he's had for 30 years. Still working good.....One baby's hatched. My therm. was running low. I stuck a digital thermometer in on day 18 and had to turn it up 2-3 degrees....With the digital, what should the humidity be at, I can't seem to get it up enough with this unit...not quite sure what I'm doing wrong.

10. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:NO NO NO! There was a miscommunication.... See I had talked to him previously and made arrangements. He was supposed to give it to you, so that you can mail it to me....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by