Look what wandered into my backyard!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by buzymom13, Jul 16, 2010.

1. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My one daughter came into the house yelling that there was a new chicken in the yard. This was what we found. Anyone? What breed/gender?

We are trying to catch the neighbors to see if it may be their's but we live out away from town so we have had drop offs before with animals.

Thankx for any guesses...

[​IMG]

2. Liana

Liana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern NH
    Could be a production red? A friend of mine has several and this one looks very much like them.

3. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    hate when ppl drop off animals [​IMG] yep I would agree its a production red something, funny she knew just where to go [​IMG]

4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Does look to have some RIR in it, At least you get drop off chickens. We get dogs and cats that go wild and have to be destroyed. But then again do you want to take a chance with a stray bird?

5. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    I took a look at her... she looks healthy...no bugs or anything that I could see. I've kept her seperated but within seeing distance of my flock...she wandered into the yard and was around my ducks and chickens for a bit before we knew so there's not really a "choice" of whether she's been near my flock or not. I'm hoping she just wandered from the neighbors but so far 3 out of 4 neighbors up and down the road are saying it's "not my chicken"...

Oh well what's one more chicken right? [​IMG]

6. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Quote:But it's better that people drop off animals that they can no longer keep somewhere that they know it's going to be cared for rather than dumping in the street or even in the trash, she looks like a healthy laying hen which is even better, I'd imagine most drop offs are roos [​IMG]

7. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    She looks a lot like my RIRs, Lovely girl you should keep her.

Oesdog - [​IMG]

8. cterbizan

cterbizan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I think it looks like a Golden Comet. I am going with hen too.

9. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Probably a red sex-link with the white feathers on the underside. Expect lots of big eggs. Good move quarantining her, even if she accidentally came in contact with the flock first.

10. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 True BYC Addict

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    i agree some sort of red, probably RIR, NH Red, or production red, maybe even a mix of some sort and its probably a girl and also since so many neighbors are saying its not theirs im gonna just guess that its probably either a stray/wanderer or a drop off, but she looks very nice, if noone claims her you may just be able to keep her, congrats! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by