Look who I found watching my hens today...

I've got several small hawks hanging out at my place; mostly Merlins.

They will sometimes be right in the run with the ducks. But they aren't interested in ducks. They are after the sparrows that come in to steal the poultry food.

A one pound or 2 pound hawk isn't gong to take on an 8 pound duck. If the 1 pound hawk attacked a goose, he'd just bounce off and the goose probably wouldn't even know the hawk had been there.

I don't have newly hatched ducklings running out in the open. They are small enough for a hawk for the first couple of weeks. I simply don't put them where a hawk could reach them.

The goslings, no problem. Hawks aren't foolish enough to risk the wrath of the gander just to make a try at a gosling.

Only the large size hawks might be a danger to poultry and many of them won't try. They have to be really hungry, or else raised by parent birds that hunted poultry and taught the skill to their young. The little bitty hawks are not likely to have any interest in your chickens.

We have hawks that attempt to take our free range chickens. We had a large hawk kill our polish hen but didn't take off with it. It waited up in the tree for her to take her last breath. I ended up scaring the hawk off and had to put our hen out of her pain. We had a smaller hawk try to take off with one of RIR twice. This last time, two months ago, he pierced her skin under her wing with his talon and removed a bunch of her feathers. Our rooster went after the hawk and keeps his girls close to the barn now. The hen is doing fine and stays close to her roo.

If it's not the hawks, it's the dang fox. We lost 5 birds this winter. But I knew this was going to happen getting into free ranging our flock. I do lock them all up in the coop at night because of the fox and owls. So I don't know if I could my clock free range.

I found some more photos of the sharp-shinned on flickr - some people (In Great Britain) seem to call them sparrow hawks. I do think that is what mine was going for - the wild birds, but I'm still cautious about letting the girls out when I'm not around to keep an eye on them.

Something to think about pertaining to hawks that naturally prey on and are conditioned to preying on wild birds....such practices as throwing a bit of scratch grains out on the gound for your chickes, out in yard or range areas, definitiely attracts wild birds into the area and ito close minglinng with your chickens. And, as one thing leads to another......

Something to think about pertaining to hawks that naturally prey on and are conditioned to preying on wild birds....such practices as throwing a bit of scratch grains out on the gound for your chickes, out in yard or range areas, definitiely attracts wild birds into the area and ito close minglinng with your chickens. And, as one thing leads to another......

What we did to compensate was throw scratch / bird seed within chained dogs reach. Chickens could come and eat but hawk would be committing suicide if it grappled chicken on ground within chained dogs reach.

Setting feeder / feeding station close heavy cover like brambles or osage orange tree gave chickens escape route.

Last edited:
I'm really fortunate that my big black rotty/lab mix LOVES the chickens and thinks she's part of their flock... she hangs out with them, checks on them, is very cautious around them so as not to scare them... they seem to enjoy her too.

The day of the hawk in the tree, we were all out there, chickens, dog, me... the dog was walking around under the tree... it was very peaceful, everyone was getting along and I got some great photos. LOL, lucky, I know.

Sounds like you all have a good relationship going there, to me!
smile.png

I'm really fortunate that my big black rotty/lab mix LOVES the chickens and thinks she's part of their flock... she hangs out with them, checks on them, is very cautious around them so as not to scare them... they seem to enjoy her too.

The day of the hawk in the tree, we were all out there, chickens, dog, me... the dog was walking around under the tree... it was very peaceful, everyone was getting along and I got some great photos. LOL, lucky, I know.

Coopers and sharpshins are more bird-hunters. They won't pass up rodents.. they sure spend a lot of time trying to surprise birds. Owls and cats are better for rodent control anyways as they are mainly nocturnal creatures...

Kestrels are excellent for rodents that dare venture out during daylight. They even have special cells in their eyes that allow them to visually detect urine trails left by rodents so they look for those trails and then set up shop.

Red tails have never went after my chickens of any size. They have went after pigeons occasionally. Also, I had to give up pigeon keeping because sharpshins and coopers made it impossible to let them out for flying lessons. They want pigeons so bad they occasionally kill themselves by smashing their necks on the wire by flying hard and fast.
Keep in mind the smaller hawks that aren't really a threat to chickens do serve a postive purpose being in your area...they prey on mice and rats that would make their way into your coops and feeders! Hawks are not always chicken keepers' enemy, they are friends as well.

oops I responded before seeing this. This has been my experience so far. Don't mind the redtails at all, most certainly do mind the sharpshins and coopers being around.
Actually this is mostly incorrect if you are talking about Sharpshins and Coopers. They are primarily bird eaters which frequently includes poultry. The larger hawks although primarily mammal eaters can be opportunistic and switch over to poultry if hungry.

We had to start over due to predator issues. Hawks especially Cooper's can and will take down a full grown heavy breed hen and fly off with her. Don't know about the smaller ones but the ones I have experience with were BIG. Owls got a few too at night and Owls CAN and WILL climb to find a hole to slip through....crazy to hear a ruckus at night and spotlight only to see an Owl doing acrobatics on your wire to try and get in !!! We are starting over now and have to fully enclose a run. I can let the birds free range during the day but only if I am out and about in the yard ...... Guess the hawks don't like the old fat lady in the pasture with the chickens lol lol good deterrant!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom