looked at FAQ on Chicken First Aid Kit I have a question Please help

buff

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Shippenville, PA
I went to index and looked in the FAQ on "Chicken First Aid Kits" my question is what do you use each of the medicines and supplies for. I am not very smart when comes to medicines because there are so many I get confused: example of what I mean about the lists are: sulmet which I have on hand is antibacterial. What I am really wanting to know is something in lines of this: Sulment - antibacterial - uses for ?
tylan - antiboitic?-used for?

Can anyone please help me cause I would like to have a chicken first aid kit on hand but I also would like to know what kind of medicine it is antiboitic, antibacterial, what is uses are for cause I know I have heard of people having neospirin in the first aid kit. And what I mean as for uses like is it to help with sneezing, wheezin, bumblefoot, frostbite of feet or comb, wounds ,etc. It is so much to remember I would like to make alist of all the info for myself and of the most important stuff on hand for my flock for as I lost a chicken maybe to CRD. Please help me I am getting so confused what to have on hand. I was told that about tylan for my chicken but I could not find anywhere to buy it so what could of been my next choice. I just want a list of medicines what it is ex:antibiotic what is used for ex:sneezing so I can make up my own first aid kit that will fit for my flock and also when you give the chickens medicine I notice that some say can't eat the eggs ex: sulmet not allowed to eat eggs for 10 days I also have textory which just says not to eat eggs but not for how long does that mean you can't eat the eggs until you are done giving that medicine? I know I am rambling and repeating myself but I have 2 kids who just keep interepting me that I keep forgetting my train of thought and what I was just typing so I apologize for that. I hope someone can help me. This is the first time I have really had a sick chicken and I hope it never happens again but I want to be prepared next time.

i do hope you get the answers. i am curious myself. i had a sick chicken back in feb. this year. she passed away. but i didnt have access to medicine that was suggested by a few byc'ers here. so looking forward to hear what others say to.
pop.gif

Here's a great link to a lot of info about drugs and their use in chickens. Most drugs have multiple uses so it would be prohibitive to try to type it all out, and impossible to remember.

Sulmet is often used for treating cocci, but can be used for many different things.

Imp

http://www.drugs.com/vet/chickens-a.html

this is a great post. I have been working on my medicine chest too and don't want to buy meds without knowing which ones I need, because of shelf life and expense. So if someone was willing to go to the trouble of doing this it would be much appreciated.

Thank you for that web site on all the drugs I think it will be very helpful for me. But there is one thing that I still am wonder I looked up some of the medicines that was recommended to give to my hen meanie whom just passed away and I beleive she had CRD. One of the drugs someone said was Duramcyin 10 But in the warning section it said Warning
Do not slaughter birds or swine for food within 4 days of treatment or calves within 5 days of treatment. A withdrawal period has not been established for this product in pre-ruminating calves. Do not use in calves to be processed for veal. Not for use in turkeys or chickens producing eggs for human consumption. Do not use for more than 5 consecutive days in swine and calves, or 14 consecutive days in birds.
Does this mean we can never eat the eggs again or is it that you can't consume the eggs until you are done Admin. the drug? Does anyone know this answer? Also, I will try to consume a list for anyone and everyone since I am the one questioning about this first aid kit for anyone to look at.

That question has come up before without a great answer.

The general consnsus is that those warnings are for legal liability purposes. That for most drugs a 2 week withdrawal period is OK.
Like everything it is up to you to decide. Personally I do not worry about a "mild" antibiotic. I have a hard time believing it lingers in sufficient or any quantity in the flesh or eggs. Especially after 2 weeks. Now if it was a toxic metal, radioactive, poisonous I might think twice.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom