Looking ahead at growing our flock

pinkmartin73

Chirping
Jan 29, 2015
Pickaway County, Ohio
First, a bit of background. We are new to keeping chickens. All our birds are 20 weeks old. Currently, we have 3 Buff Orpington pullets, 3 RIR pullets, 2 EE pullets, and a Partridge Wyandotte Bantam M/F pair. We rehomed 3 bantam cockerels when we realized they were males. Our reason for keeping the bantam pair, is for my son to show in the fancy class in 4-H. Also making them eligible for showmanship since bantams are smaller and easier to handle. We set up our coop and run to eventually handle 15-20 birds.

Next year my son will show the bantam pair in the fancy class, 2 of the BO's as layers, and 2 new pullets as pullets. I would like to get Light Brahmas for his new pullets. He really wants a full sized rooster. We don't "need" one. So if we add 3 Brahma girls, maybe a couple of Buckeyes or EE's, can we manage a Brahma Rooster? Our bantam cockerel is still young and in lust with all the girls but I sincerely hope he matures some.

We will be getting any new birds in late Jan or early Feb. They will be raised in our house until old enough to move to the coop.

Thanks in advance for advising me!

Sounds like an awesome flock!
smile.png

Large breed roosters can only handle about 6-8 hens when breeding. You mentioned having around 8 full sized hens. I would suggest getting more bantam hens for your bantam rooster if you plan on getting another male, so that the bantam rooster won't get jealous.
smile.png
I have a Light Brahma hen named Cowgirl who is a lot of fun. They are large, slow-maturing, and pretty. You could also look for free rehomes, rooster in need of good homes. They are often friendly, beautiful and healthy, only in need of a home because they were illegal in that certain area or the owner already had too many roosters.
Make sure that you keep it separate a few weeks to make sure it is healthy and then carefully introduce them so the roosters don't fight.
Young roosters are pretty crazy, but they usually calm with age, at around a year or so.

Best of luck!

Cowgirl, my Light Brahma from McMurray Hatchery

Sounds like an awesome flock! :) Large breed roosters can only handle about 6-8 hens when breeding. You mentioned having around 8 full sized hens. I would suggest getting more bantam hens for your bantam rooster if you plan on getting another male, so that the bantam rooster won't get jealous. :) I have a Light Brahma hen named Cowgirl who is a lot of fun. They are large, slow-maturing, and pretty. You could also look for free rehomes, rooster in need of good homes. They are often friendly, beautiful and healthy, only in need of a home because they were illegal in that certain area or the owner already had too many roosters. Make sure that you keep it separate a few weeks to make sure it is healthy and then carefully introduce them so the roosters don't fight. Young roosters are pretty crazy, but they usually calm with age, at around a year or so. Best of luck! Cowgirl, my Light Brahma from McMurray Hatchery
Thanks. That all makes perfect sense. I wouldn't mind a couple more bantam girls. The one we have doesn't socialize much with the big girls. It just isn't easy buying bantam chicks without getting all boys. We originally bought 5 straight run in hopes of atleast a m/f pair. Ended up with 1f/4m. Our current lil man will be nearly a year old before we order more birds. I hope that makes it easier. Any birds we introduce will be quarantined. Better safe than sorry! I figure any we add will need to be introduced slowly? In the past judges in our area seem to favor "large bodied hens". I have heard that along with being big, brahmas are even more friendly than our buff orpingtons. Would you agree? I'm open to suggestions as far as breeds go. Buckeyes, of course appeal to me being a buckeye myself. I like to idea of leg horns for their ability to crank out eggs, but since we are hoping to offer our girls a nice retirement plan, those who may lay fewer eggs for a longer time would be a plus. Edit to add ** Any birds we get must be cold hardy.

Last edited:
There are lots of silkies and cochins in need of being rehomed, young adults that are proven pullets even. I'm sure you could find a small flock of bantams that are cold hardy. Our sebrights and OEGs have survived days of freezing and below zero weather, but I can't say that they enjoyed it, and they lost their combs to frost-bite (the roosters at least)

I love Buckeyes! Don't have any myself, but have always liked the breed and hope to get some soon. Go Buckeyes!

The brahmas I have are only 3 weeks old (two buffs and a light) but they have not proven as friendly as my other breeds, Even my Andalusian and Leghorn chicks are much tamer and less flighty than them. I guess I'll have to see how they grow up, and I know this is only one strain, but I was a little disappointed as I have been looking forward to brahmas for several ears now.

Introductions should be done over a week at least. Put them in a pen near the others, so they can see and hear each other. Then, after this time of getting to know one another, you can simply open the doors, or you can sneak the new birds into the old birds coop at night.

There are lots of silkies and cochins in need of being rehomed, young adults that are proven pullets even. I'm sure you could find a small flock of bantams that are cold hardy. Our sebrights and OEGs have survived days of freezing and below zero weather, but I can't say that they enjoyed it, and they lost their combs to frost-bite (the roosters at least)

I love Buckeyes! Don't have any myself, but have always liked the breed and hope to get some soon. Go Buckeyes!

The brahmas I have are only 3 weeks old (two buffs and a light) but they have not proven as friendly as my other breeds, Even my Andalusian and Leghorn chicks are much tamer and less flighty than them.  I guess I'll have to see how they grow up, and I know this is only one strain, but I was a little disappointed as I have been looking forward to brahmas for several ears now.

Introductions should be done over a week at least. Put them in a pen near the others, so they can see and hear each other. Then, after this time of getting to know one another, you can simply open the doors, or you can sneak the new birds into the old birds coop at night.

I may check into finding some banties to adopt. My son would like to hatch a few bantam eggs if we end up with a broody hen. Would it be a problem if some of the girls are "family" as long as we aren't hatching from them? Lol I feel dumb asking that.

That sucks about the frost bite. I'm hoping ours do ok this winter. Its disappointing to hear that your young brahmas aren't the sweet, docile creatures I was picturing. I'm sure there are personality variables in every breed. I'd love to know how yours act as they grow and mature. I have noticed some of my more flighty birds settling down as they are beginning to lay.

If the eggs you are hatching aren't from related parents, then it is fine. Some of my chickens are related, but I try to make sure that I get new genetics introduce through new birds, eggs, or roosters (I raise a rooster with my top-man and he treats him like a son).

My Brahmas are getting tamer, but that's just because they hit the "need to eat all the time!" time of life where all the chicks just want to be getting treats! They have begun perching on my lap as well, and I'm sure they'll be friendly as they mature, they just aren't as friendly as my Wandottes, Sussex or Orpingtons.

I'm curious. And again, seems like a dumb question. Are there sex link bantams? If I can't find pullets to adopt, maybe I can order pullets that way?

One of my BO's was my super best friend until about a month after moving them to the coop. Then she became flighty and stand offish. Now that she is laying, she's my super besty again. I can't go out there and not pick her up and love on her. She will peck me if I ignore her. Then today she also freaked out because I gave someone else attention after her. Its like I'm hers.

Because of how they are created, I don't think sex-links can really be bred into bantams (or at least haven't yet). You can order pullets, however, from a lot of hatcheries (of the most common breeds).

Well, somebody really needs to figure it out! It'd really make a lot of sense and I'm sure a lot of us would buy them. I use a hatchery reasonably close to home. I can't order a sufficient number of chicks to have them shipped in the winter. That's the best time for me to order for birds to be the right age for our county fair. I make the (2 hr each way) drive to pick up. Maybe one day when we have the space to maintain multiple flocks. For now, I'll keep a look out on craigslist and here for bantam pullets.

Pinkmartin - You might consider contacting your local poultry club. The county extension agents should know about them, or your local feed store. Because if your son is going to be interested in showing, and breeding birds to show, he needs some experienced people to guide him, and he probably needs higher quality birds than your average hatchery birds.

Another place to look is Sandhills preservation. They do quite a bit of work with various breeds. I have done business with them once, and received pretty high quality breeds.

The hardest part of this hobby is picking a breed. I have often thought, oh this is the way I will go, only to change my mind as another opportunity shows up.

Mrs K

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom