Looking ahead - What are your spring plans?

:frowGood thread! I love reading about everyone's plans! I'm going to add 2-4 ducks this year. I don't really want to start with ducklings but it does have it's pros, like they will be better bonded and more easily trained - and since my ducks are just pets that give me breakfast, the bonding and training part is important to me. I regularly look through the rehome section on BYC and CL to see if anyone is rehoming pet older ducks thinking maybe I'll come across some that are already trained. So far no luck... Which means I'm now trying to decide where I'm going to order from - it will either be Anconas from a BYC member or other sexed breeds from Metzer... I'm probably over-thinking it - very different from my first duck purchase. My first 2 babies were a complete impulse buy from TSC but I haven't regretted it one bit! Can't wait to see pics of everyone's new additions this year! :D

I have so much to do this spring!!

I do want to introduce other ducks - ideally, some female Calls from a friend. Adult ducks who can be integrated into the flock sooner & easier. If not, probably sexed ducklings from a hatchery. I'm very tempted by Muscovies, but the rational part of me wants to add a non-flying breed to maybe chill out my one Mallard who thinks she wants to be a wild duck. :hmm

Then - additions to the run! Lots of things that worked fine last summer turned out to be not-so-great in the winter. Like the bird netting on top of the run: it needs to be replaced with chicken wire. The kiddie pool is going to be replaced with an old fish pond that will have a drainage pipe & sunk into the ground (which will be miserable to dig by hand, but will save my back in the long run).

I'm also going back & forth over whether to clip my pair & let them loose in the chainlink backyard, or .... to expand their run. Latter option is more pricey and therefor will take more time: the former is dicey. I'm going to feel bad if I clip them, but I'm also going to feel bad if they don't have as much space as they COULD have compared to the rest of the yard. :confused: It's a real dilemma.

Clipping isn’t so bad my female Muscovys get clipped to keep them safe. They are perfectly content.

Any babies I get in the future will definitely be clipped!! It just allows them more freedom (& less stress for me, worrying if the neighbor dogs or ferals are going to eat them). I'm just going to feel bad if I clip these two because flying in & out of their pool is their favorite game.

I only do ducks, don't know much about chickens. But yours are gorgeous! So fluffy and healthy looking! Thanks for sharing pics

Its been a very mild winter here in Ireland.
I finished cleaning out my “broody shed” today. It’s a bit early but I’m just getting prepared.
Im planning on breeding my blue buff columbian, partridge and lemon Pyle brahmas.
I also let my mix breed ducks sit and hatch eggs for fun and I’m also thinking about hatching some peafowl eggs.

Here’s a few pics of some of my brahmas
View attachment 1632317 View attachment 1632318 View attachment 1632319 View attachment 1632320 View attachment 1632321

A chicken swing set- now that sounds fun! Do post some pics once it's done.

I plan on converting an old swingset we have on our property into a chicken swingset! Gonna remove all the swings and whatnot on them and replace them with some safely secured tree branch swings for the girls. I'll probably also tear all the chicken wire off the coop and replace it with hardware cloth instead.
And for my 2 Pekin duck boys, we plan on making them a small pond in their enclosure!

I may also get some chicks! I plan on getting around 5 pullets or so, just to replace ones I've lost. Haven't decided on a breed yet. But, you know...chicken math and all; might end up with more than just 5.. :rolleyes:

Best of luck with your spring plans!

Debating on whether to get more ducks over here. We only have two now as our Pekin unexpectedly passed in the night a month ago. We're surprised by how easy the ducks have been, these are our first, and we have room for more. I'm just not sure how easy it is to add new ducks to existing ones.

Our pekin was our layer, I would love to get another who will lay. Our current female doesn't lay very much at all.

I'm thinking about a swedish blue, a cayuga, or a welsh. Probably ducklings, as they are so cute and our kids enjoy bonding with them and watching them grow, but I don't want to take the chance on getting drakes so we would have to purchase them sexed. Not sure yet where to do that but we have time to figure that out.

Back
Top Bottom