Looking For A Butcher In Massachusetts

If you are proud to raise your own, you should slaughter your own. You don't know how humane a butcher will be. The butcher was not the owner and you are likely to do the best job. If I were you, I'd get myself a book that explains explicitly and step by step how to slaughter and butcher my own. I personally don't trust anybody and I always do my my own. By the way, if you slow cook your rooster, it will be delish, even if it is 3 years old! I mean about 5 hours at 200 degrees! Also, check your rooster for mites. Sometimes, they are so infested that they hurt real bad and they get mean...

If you are proud to raise your own, you should slaughter your own. You don't know how humane a butcher will be. The butcher was not the owner and you are likely to do the best job. If I were you, I'd get myself a book that explains explicitly and step by step how to slaughter and butcher my own. I personally don't trust anybody and I always do my my own. By the way, if you slow cook your rooster, it will be delish, even if it is 3 years old! I mean about 5 hours at 200 degrees! Also, check your rooster for mites. Sometimes, they are so infested that they hurt real bad and they get mean...
Welcome to BYC!.

When I started raising livestock I was not ready to process my own. As a matter of fact loading day was a real stressor-- for ME!! Un loading was quick and efficient. If they over nighted, they were bedded down with hay and water. IT took 25 more years to consider butchering my own . . .and someone to show me know.

Hope you enjoy BYC!!

I am sorry but I didn't understand your response, about loading and un loading... Is that a way to raise animals? I was just trying to help with my reply about butchering a rooster...

I am sorry but I didn't understand your response, about loading and un loading... Is that a way to raise animals? I was just trying to help with my reply about butchering a rooster...
Sorry for the confusion. I was trying to expand on your opinion on who butchers . . . loading refers to loading the truck for delivery to a good butcher. ANd how well cared for the animals were while waiting their turn. As the OP was looking for a butcher in Masss . . . .

Hey all, I'm just wondering if anyone in Massachusetts has had any experience here....
I'm looking for a butcher near me (Gardner MA) who could take just 2 roosters. I have 2 roosters that need to go, one is about 10 months old and weighs about 8-10 pounds. The other is a year and a half old and weighs about 9-12 pounds. Because I'm not looking to have a bulk amount butchered, I'd like to find somewhere that wouldn't charge me the price of a new car to do 2 birds... This is my first time sending my birds to slaughter, so if possible I'd just like to know it's done as humanely as possible...
The long and short of it is that I have too many roosters. I'm going away in October and my Bird Sitter is afraid of one of them, and I'd planned to butcher the other anyway. I've been trying to find a place to send him since he was 8 months old, I've been told that once they're over a year the meat is tough and it's not worth it. I've had to kill one of my birds before, but it wasn't how I would've liked and we didn't get the meat, I don't want these guys' lives to be for nothing. I've put a lot of hard work into them and I would like to see how fresh chicken from my own home is. I'm willing to drive maybe an hour away, but even that's a stretch. I would pay $50 per bird, I don't know if that's reasonable but I hope it is.
If anyone has any advice or knows of any place, I'd be really grateful for some help!
Thanks,
~Kate
Use to be $3 per bird. It might have gone up to $7 but I wouldn’t think any more than that.

Hi there, I am in need of a chicken processor ASAP in Central/Western MA. I had Stillman lined up before I bought the birds. I just received a call that they are not able to do Monday 05/23. She said they will call me back if they have time to get my birds in but suggested I look elsewhere.

I called Matt LeClerk from a list that was posted and he is no longer processing birds.

Back
Top Bottom