Looking for a definitive answer, 1/2" x 1/2" welded wire mesh vs. 1/2" x 1" welded wire mesh

Is 16 gauge 1/2" x 1" Wire Mesh fencing secure for a coop/run

• Yes

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • I just like taking polls

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
Good point, 'bout coating...

just throwing my 2 cents----why coating? It will not last. What does it add? I'd rather $$ go into good wire, not maybe less quality 'coated wire'.....just sayin'

smile.png

I would go with uncoated hardware wire - or 16 guage galvanized.

Some rodents or snakes may not get thru 1/2 x 1/2 but could squeeze thru 1/2 x 1. Rodents and other small critter like to chew on that coating too.

I guess the coated stuff is also a personal preference but it wouldn't be mine.

How about buying uncoated wire and spray painting it black? I've never tried that, but it might be worth a shot.

Also, if you go with the 1/2 x 1/2 wire, can you light the coop to further increase the chickens visibility? I understand your concern about reduced visibility with the 1/2 x 1/2 wire. I chose it for safety (because we have tons of predators), but it is annoying sometimes not to be able to see very well into the run, especially when the chickens are towards the back. I've been considering putting a light in there that I can turn on when I'm chicken watching.

Spray painting the wire is an interesting thought, but I think the cost of spray paint and the time investment would mean that I'd rather buy the coated wire.

For me the black coated wire is about looks, I think it looks better than the regular galvanized wire. It is also used by a local maker of chicken coops, and they make the following claims:

Quote:
I have not seen any documentation to support or dispute their claims, however I think that they do make sense in principle. As for needing to replace non-coated wire every few years, I think that would be a worst case scenario and is probably an exaggeration.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom