Looking for a FEMALE SAINT BERNARD

Having been exposed to many of the issues of backyard breeding, especially of large dogs like saint bernards, this post makes me cringe.

I don't recommend breeding unless your dog is proven in its breed (via shows or awesome lineages) or the dog is a proven working animal that could pass along its traits for something useful. Breeding is a huge responsibility and *should* cost a lot of money. Not to mention the expenses of procedures should something go wrong.

Generally, there's not a huge market for large breed dogs right now, especially as pets. Its the reason shelters are so over run with them. Yes, puppies are cute, but st. bernards are not for everyone and many end up with behavioral issues that makes it difficult to ever rehome them.

There are a lot of benefits to castrating a male dog, including reduced chance of many male-related cancers. It also tends to calm male dogs down and makes them more manageable. Generally, a lot of males will stop humping behavior after castration.

No one is being mean here. Just stating the truth. Hopefully, it will give you some things to consider before pursuing this course.

~A vet student who sees a TON of clinical issues due to backyard breeding

Hi, I have a 2 year old Male Purebreed Saint Bernard who wants to mate badley. We live in Woodbridge, Va. I was wondering if anyone in the area has a female Purebred Saint Bernard that they would like to breed. Please contact me ASAP I don't want to get him neutered. I know he wants to have babies of his own.

Thank you,

Victoria

Victory, I have a female and live in Manassas. Va. Please send me a private message

Last edited by a moderator:
Victory, I have a female and live in Manassas. Va. Please send me a private message
Hopefully, Victoria has had her male neutered in the 3 years since she first posted her request.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom