Looking for a flock guardian

Kyfila

Songster
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
georgetown, ky
Hello All, I live in central Ky. with my children, my husband, and a bunch of chickens.
I need a flock guardian.
After 5 years with no problems something killed one of my adult guinea hens.
Is there a particular breed that does better with chickens than other breeds?
Any and all info would be greatly appreciated! I don't think I can stand to find another body. It is just too sad.
Also anyone know of any pups available in central Ky or close by?
I want a dog to stay out in the chicken yard all the time.
Thanks and Be Blessed!
Kim in Ky.

I'm interested in this as well-especially which type of dog would go best with chickens. I also have goats that I would like protected. They are Nigerian Dwarf goats so a larger predator could get them I suppose.
pop.gif

I know this sounds crazy but trust me. I have a 1/2 bordie collie 1/2 australian shep. that is horrible on the chickens. Were getting rid of him asap. However, my pit/lab mix is a doll with them. Chases off coyotes an seems to enjoy the chickens. Crazy?

not crazy! Our 8 year old pit is the champion of chickens! He guards them, and chases cats off of our property. NEVER leaves the edges of the land, never hurts the cat, just lets 'em know hes king around here! We've had a chick here and there try and make a break for it LOL, he just trots after them (not that they care in the least
lol.png
) gets in front of them, and turns them on around.... best helper we have.
cool.png

Any mutt will guard territory, and most can be trained not to kill chickens.
That is not the same as actually guarding livestock

A true Livestock Guardian Dog is one of a few specific breeds developed through centuries of selective breeding to have the instincts to BOND to the livestock and protect THEM, and not just the territory
The are also all "giant" breeds, in order to be able to physically imtimidate all predators

http://www.lgd.org/

you can train any dogs to leave chickens alone....

we got 3 bull terrier/ pitbulls running in our farm with all our animals, not many predator walk out alive.

Back
Top Bottom