Looking for a list of remedies (prefer natural) UPDATES

BeccaOH

Morning Gem Farm
11 Years
Oct 3, 2008
east central Ohio
I'd like to keep my flock as free from antibiotics and chemical medications as possible. Also, I like the idea of using things I'm likely to have on hand as a natural (and likely less expensive) remedy.

I'm still new to chickens and still learning. So, I'm trying to collect a list of natural remedies for diseases and other problems in the flock that I could quickly refer to sort of like I refer to the treats list.

For example:
worms = Pumpkin seeds (raw, unsalted, ground if dried)
mites = DE in litter and bedding

It would be nice to start a sticky for that under this index topic.

I suppose even a general list of medicines available at farm stores matched with the disease or problem would be of great interest.

If you post the remedy, I can work on a list as my limited time permits, but I bet someone already has something stored in their computer that they could share. Thanks much!
smile.png

(note I also posted this as a BYC site suggestion)

Starter List:
Bloody cut or feather loss gouge = coat area with cornstarch or flour to slow blood loss or with Blue-Kote

Cannibalism = hard behavior to change. Start with distractions of treats to peck and increase their space to roam and roost. Increase protein in the flock's diet. Isolate the wounded and/or the offender. Debeak the cannibal. Try cod liver oil for more Vitamin D. Coat the wounded with pine tar to deter the cannibals. Cull a persistent cannibal.

Change in weather droop = apple cider vinegar (ACV) in water (not in metal fount), 1/4 cup to each gallon; or clear Gatorade or Pedilyte added to water; treat with warm oatmeal.

Frostbite = prevent with good ventilation that lowers coop humidity; coat combs with Vaseline or Bag Balm

Impacted Crop = a few drops of cooking grade oil into the beak, allowing bird to swallow; massage area; offer moistened food

Mites = DE in litter and bedding; can dust directly onto the bird while roosting

Sneezing = VetRX; check ventilation in coop; dampen litter with half/half mixture of ACV and water.

Worms = Pumpkin seeds (raw, unsalted, ground if dried) or Cayenne pepper (about 1/3 cup to gallon of food) or food grade DE in food or black sunflower seeds.

Last edited:
DE can also be used in the dust bath, for mites. It can also be applied directly to the chicken, for birds that have a problem and aren't using the dust bath for some reason. Like a hen that's gone broody or a roo that's too busy watching over the flock.

The best preventions against illness are not over-crowding them, keeping their water clean and giving them a good diet that includes some fresh greens. I think getting out for some exercise and a few more bugs for a little while a couple of times a week is also good for them, especially if your run is not very big. It's pretty much just the chicken version of what helps people to be healthier.

Edited to add that good litter management is also obviously important to their good health.

Last edited:
If you can find it, this is an awesome book: THE COMPLETE HERBAL HANDBOOK OF FARM AND STABLE by Juliette de Bairacli Levy. Orig published in 1952, 4th ed. 1991. PBS did a special on her, and she was (is?) an incredible woman - travelled on foot all over the world gathering info on natural remedies from native people - remedies passed on from hundreds to thousands of years! I found it at a second-hand book store. I haven't looked for it online yet. There is A LOT of info on natural remedies, and I'm with you. I like to try the alternatives first. The previous comment always holds true - Fresh air, sweet earth, and proper care go a long way to prevention of problems. Of course, sh!t happens...Good luck.

Thanks. I'll look for that book.

I see a lot of tips on here from flour on a cut to vinegar in the water. I've used the search engine many times, but it can get overwhelming sorting through all the posts and varying opinions. I guess I'm just wanting a quick reference sheet I can go to when in a panic because a chicken got a cut or started having a nasty runny nose.

I'm trying to do my best at a clean coop using deep litter. I get the chickens out in the yard every day and have plans to expand their run. I've tried to take the usual precautions when integrating new birds into the flock.

Thanks!
smile.png

I think a list of natural remedies is a great idea! I too like to use the natural remedies on my chickens.
I use a quarter cup of apple cider vinegar mixed into a gallon of water for alot of things (worming, nasal things colds,discharge etc),
I also use clear white gatorade, or pedilyte once in awhile to boost their immunity (kinda like our vitiamins),
then if someone is really feeling poorly or during the winter I give them a mixture of rolled oats, honey,plain yogurt, applesauce.Seems to perk them right up!
For cuts, missing feathers that are raw, damaged combs I put on some vaseline or bacitracin after washing the area gently with a mild soap and water.
Mostly I have no problems and try to give them exercise plenty of e,a dry draft proof living area, and treats of tomatoes, lettuce (On most days), occasionally spagehetti, corn or other table craps, and of course the opportunity to free range when there is no threat of hawks or eagles.
On occassion I will put some DE Or Sevin in a corner of the coop so when they take a dust bath they also protect themself from mites and bugs.
I hope this helps! I'm looking forward to remedies other people use. Good LUCK! Let's keep this going HUH? It's a GREAT IDEA!!!

We have treated for Sour Crop with Apple Cider Vinegar and massage. We gave ACV (raw, organic with mother) in 1:4 ACV to water (ish...we free poured, so this is a very loose estimate). Then, we gave her an irrigation syringe full of 50-50 ACV to water (sometimes 75-25). Also regularly massaging the crop in a downward motion. The worst case took 4 days before she was 100%.

This is a great thing to start. I hear on a lot of post about Rescue Remedy. I know it is organic but what are people treating their chickens for when they use it?

Back
Top Bottom